Home Technical Talk

Speedtree Roots

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
So I'm trying to make one of those crazy Cambodian trees. You know the kind, the ones you see on that temple with the crazy big roots. I want to use Speedtree to make one, but I'm having trouble getting the roots I want to look right. I've tried putting a box in with mesh forces, magnets, directional forces, but nothing gets me the results I'm looking for. Does anyone know of any tutorials or anything that could help with this? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd suggest sculpting it instead. It would be a lot faster and offer a lot more control if you used something like zspheres to flesh out the shapes you want.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    I think one of the free speedtrees(broadleaf?) has roots. You could open that up and see how it was done.
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The broadleaf doesn't have extensive roots. Ideally I would like to see how long, crawling roots are made using this program. I haven't used it much, so it's still fairly foreign to me.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why do you want to bend Speedtree to do a task like this, which it's really not made to do? Maybe you've seen an example that is made with Speedtree?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Why do you want to bend Speedtree to do a task like this, which it's really not made to do? Maybe you've seen an example that is made with Speedtree?
    I think the idea of auto-LOD, auto-rigging, and auto-texturing/lightmapping is a juicy, low-hanging fruit...... :)
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geez, I guess I shouldn't of asked. It's a tree and I figured Speedtree could help with that. Even so, just tutorials on roots, in general, seem to be hard to come by, even those that are more traditional. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Geez, I guess I shouldn't of asked. It's a tree and I figured Speedtree could help with that. Even so, just tutorials on roots, in general, seem to be hard to come by, even those that are more traditional. 
    Take it easy there. Asking is what this forum is all about. 'Smiley face'=joke.
    What have you got so far? There isn't always going to be a specific tutorial on everything you build.

Are you intending to use aforementioned Speedtree bonus of lods/rigging/etc, or is it just the forms you're after? If just the latter then there are a lot of methods you could use, whilst also incorporating ST into the process.
  • royor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    Take it easy there. Asking is what this forum is all about. 'Smiley face'=joke.
    What have you got so far? There isn't always going to be a specific tutorial on everything you build.

Are you intending to use aforementioned Speedtree bonus of lods/rigging/etc, or is it just the forms you're after? If just the latter then there are a lot of methods you could use, whilst also incorporating ST into the process.
    maybe because he was trying to make procedural inside SpeedTree just how other artists do in 100% Substance Designer, and also the tutorial for SpeedTree is few compared to 3ds max fruit.

true that SpeedTree has this lods/rigging/etc so one thing he will definitely used it that is why he doesn't mention of zbrush only for the roots. if someone expert in speedtree come by here and say hello to this rare root tutorial.

again have you look on the "Jack the Giant Slayer" the tree here is procedural made from SpeedTree and please look on those root. thanks.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @royor check the last post date, nearly 2 years ago. These guys have all moved on to other things.