Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation Reel Critique

vertex
Offline / Send Message
GraceWolf vertex
Hi everyone !!

I've been having problems getting a job as an animator and i'm sure is because my reel is not good enough. I am hoping to get some feedback so i can improve.  I can cut parts, work more on them or create new. just help me please.

Thank you! 

Replies

• KielFiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    Fun reel Grace.  The main thing I noticed about your work is that it feels very evenly paced, where one action flows into the next at the same rate.  This is especially noticable in the running storm trooper.  If you're using reference of yourself, really look at the timing of your performance.  Another place you can see this is the braids of the dragon rider sway at the same rate as the wings.  This makes them feel almost the same size.

Hope this helps, keep at it!
  • GraceWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GraceWolf vertex
    It helps a lot. Thank you so much KielFiggins. 
  • bulkhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bulkhed null
    Hi Grace.

I agree with KielFiggins on your pacing.

I suggest getting a copy of Bruno Velazquez's Gnomon School master class from 2011. He focuses on combat animations but the foundations he discusses are spot on and I think listening to what he says and applying it to your reel would have a transformative effect.

All the best.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I think the Game of Thones kid, wolf rider, and the dialog stuff are pretty awesome. Nice work!

The first shot of the storm trooper seems to have a slow motion jump when he turns his head. I get that he's trying to hurdle the lasers, but it's weird that he knows what's happening behind him. Maybe have the laser hit the ground next to him and that makes him jump? Or have one laser come from the front? Either way the jump needs some work. Also his salto off the bar is a little slow too.

The star wars girl starts off pretty good with the kick, squat, and leg up pose. But then the bo-staff loses it's fluid arcing motions. Maybe render the staff with a little bit of motion blur too, to hide sharpness. But I guess what bothers me most about this animation is that it end suddenly. Just hold the palm out pose a little longer and then cut to the dragon rider. Or finish the animation.
  • GraceWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GraceWolf vertex
    Thanks Bulked. I'm doing a quick search on "Bruno Velazquez's Gnomon" right now, i really appreciate your help.

Cheers,
  • GraceWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GraceWolf vertex
    Hi Monster, Thank you so much. Great advice and tips going to start working on it, right now.
    And Teriyaki, Thank you, I  haven't tought about the editing at all.  You are right i have to fix the sound.

Thank you All. :)
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
    Howdy!

Nice reel, I like the variety of characters!  Are you trying to get into games or film?  Judging by your reel I'd say film? 

One thing I will say is that your first piece should always be your best piece.  The Mery dialogue animation is not bad by any means, I just don't see it as your best.  I really dig the dragon animations, so maybe consider putting something like those first.  If you can, try to find a mentor that works at the company you're aiming for to give you feedback.  Easier said than done, I know, but that's going to be your best bet for knowing what you need in your reel to get hired.  Networking is key!   :smile: