Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] How to smooth this ?

Filip5
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
Continuing the model , sooner or later I will have to smooth the model. However, there are parts, which needs to be smoothed, and some which don't. I found that for static meshes it is better to use NURBS (is it NURBS, isn't it). Do I have to smooth whole model if I want only to smooth certain part (front lights on image below). If I can do that, do I have to detach parts and attach them back after smoothing ?

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    NURBS - non uniform rational B-splines are spline based surfaces. NURMS(which I presume you mean) are - non uniform rational mesh smooth surfaces, or sub-divided surfaces derived from a base/low-poly mesh.

Or are you talking about using polygonal smooth shading? Which is smoothing the vertex/surface angles to affect how the mesh is rendered?

If you intend to subdivde(NURMS) the mesh then your topology is far from ideal and will need a lot of either/and/or creasing/in-line control edges.

I recommend researching the fundamentals of how sub-d surfaces behave. Here is a great video that all sub-d virgins should watch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckOTl2GcS-E

• Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    I am aware of creasing edges, or using loops to do it. However, should I smooth whole model ? Just for this example, let's say I want top and side not to be smoothed , as there won't be any details. The rest of the mesh will be smoothed. How to achieve that only part of my model gets smoothed ?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can locally sub-divide a mesh(meshsmooth button on selected faces in editable poly) but, why would you want to do it? If you locally subdivide, the adjacent topology will be dynamically tessellated and will result in even worse topology then you currently have.
  • Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    What are my options then ? Shall I subdivide the whole model even if only 1/3 of my model needs it ?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think you should do some research on the basics of what NURMS modeling is. There are no options, really. You either sub-d the mesh, or not.
    When you say 'only a 1/3 of the model needs it', it doesn't really make any sense.

It's hard to explain but sub-D modeling techniques like edgelooping/termination/routing edgeflow/control edges/etc are the basics of controlling how the sub-d algorithm behaves when you smooth the cage-mesh. Without understanding these basic tenets you will encounter a lot of heartache.

• Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    What did you mean by bad topology ? Most of them are quads, plus some triangles. I tough those are the right ones for subdividing the mesh.
    Also, I saw many videos where people didnt subdivide the mesh. Should I always subdivide if I am not making lowpoly ?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 said:
    What did you mean by bad topology ? Most of them are quads, plus some triangles. I tough those are the right ones for subdividing the mesh.
    Also, I saw many videos where people didnt subdivide the mesh. Should I always subdivide if I am not making lowpoly ?
    There are a lot of 6+ valence poles - which always sub-divide badly.

There are N-gons and triangles - which are not necessarily bad(as they ultimately sub-divide to quads) but can often subdivide unpredictably.

Little or no supporting loops/edgeflow control.

This is part of a Sub-D car I built a few years back. You can see where I've used edgeflow control to support the forms. Also, note how I've broken the panels apart as separate meshes(as they would be in real-life) to make it easier to model.

• Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    Did you just attach the top front part ? It doesn't look like its merged, just attached. I tough you always have to merge everything into one.
    Okay, so bare with me in this part. I know I may be frustrating, but I want to get this straight. What is the best way to model the light part ? I created that shape using cut tool, then connected edges so it created quads. Afterwards I smoothed it using creasing with value 0 and 1. You pointed out that this creates mess in topology, so how would you do it ?

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were creating that vehicle I wouldn't use sub-D at all. There are absolutely no curved surfaces on it so it would be much easier to polymodel and use quad chamfer modifier.

For parts like the headlight area where the direction of the topology changes a lot I would still use edgeflow control to turn corners. That way you are always in charge of your edgeloops and can easily add continuous loops/chamfers/etc. As you've discovered - from what I mentioned above - locally sub-dividing adds a topological mess.

You are trying to add all the components of the vehicle into the main topology. This is not a good way to model. Think of building the vehicle as it is built in the real-world: separately model parts that are actually separate. It adds to believability, and makes your life much easier as a modeler. Modeling everything contiguous as a rule - as you've been taught/told/heard  - is not good practice, and certainly not a rule.
  • Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    I cut out the door shape. I still wonder what to do with vertices that are not connected. I used boolean for cutting out that shape, which tends to adds some unwanted vertices. I also added support edge. Is that okay this way ?

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on whether you're going to use sub-division surfaces or not. Are you?
  • Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    If one can model asset to its finest details, what point does sub-division have ? If this is going to work and its okay, then there is no need for subdivision