Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Critiques Welcome - Sci-Fi Corridor

gparente
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
gparente polycounter lvl 4
Hello all! I'm a CG student in college. I've only been introduced to 3D modeling, texturing, rendering, and compositing for about a year now. I decided to push my limits a little bit and went for a space corridor. Do you guys have any comments on the composition, style, etc? I went for a more realistic, industrial sort of sci-fi style. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Not bad. The only thing that bugs me is the door design. How is it supposed to work with that shape? I think a vertical slide mechanism would have been better, given the size. Also it seems like the frame on the top merges to the wall but it might be just an optic illusion. This last thing is just me being nitpicky, are the valves supposed to be used only in zero g?
  • gparente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The door is designed to open left to right. The line in the middle is where the two doors meet when closed. The frame on the top does not merge into anything lol its just an optical illusion. Hey, nitpicky is good though! I envisioned this corridor to have earth-like gravity so valves would make sense lol, thanks for the tip though!
  • fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    Your shapes are good. The "hexagonal space corridor" isn't a very risky theme, but I feel like you have a good blend of low and high frequency detail, except on the door, which is a bit too uniform. Since the floor is basically flat, giving it an additional trim where it meets the walls could also help it blend better with the rest of the scene.

The main problem with the door, and why it looks a bit dumb, is because of the orientation of the boxes that *aren't* part of the door seam. These look like reinforcing supports (can't think of the exact term but you see those a lot on machined surfaces, like engine blocks), except their placement at seemingly arbitrary angles makes it seem unlikely that they'd support anything efficiently. If you look at various pieces of machinery (either from life or concept art) you should be able to find some good designs of reinforced edges that could serve as inspiration.

Oh, and the floppy tubes are kinda weird. Those that aren't being pushed away (by a pipe) should fall down straight, imo. Heavier and bigger objects tend to conform to gravity more (something to do with material tension, I think?) so it's a bit odd to see these big tubes bend around like shoelaces, and throws off your scale.

• gparente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah for the door, I wasn't going for a purpose other than aesthetics. Those "support bars" are just there for looks. I was having some trouble with getting ideas for the door. What do you mean by giving it an "additional trim"? I positioned the floppy tubes hanging from the ceiling that way because if they were completely straight, it would've made the scene too symmetrical
  • fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aesthetics often tends to follow function, especially in sci-fi and hard surface. I mean, it's a bit of a semantics debate, because almost everything is "aesthetics" in 3D - the only true, functional elements your scene needs to exist is a hallway, and a door that opens at the end. Everything else: pipes, bevels, cables, dividers, are all aesthetics. But what's particular about this particular aesthetic (sci-fi with pipes and valves everywhere) is that it's based around giving the idea of function. So your pipes don't serve any real purpose, obviously, but that's fine as long as they look like they could serve to something. That's the main problem with the door design: it doesn't look developed enough, or ingrained into reality solidly enough to serve a purpose.

An additional trim for the floor would just be a section of geo where your wall dividers meet the floor. Right now, the floor is kind of a flat plane (with a mesh grate in the middle), and the walls basically come up straight from it. If you lowered the grating a little, you could, for example, create a foundation for the walls which gives them the impression of being slightly raised (the part where you have loose cables running across the floor). I actually think it's good that your floor is flat, because it creates a good contrast with the rest of your geo which is bumpy all over. But it would give a more pleasant read if it was composed of multiple flat shapes, rather than basically one plane.

I wouldn't break symmetry through these tubes - if you're intent on having them be asymmetrical, it might be better to redesign their shape, so they run across the ceiling (rather than drop from it), and have them be clipped on, with some of the clips more spaced out so some sections of the tubes can drop a little.

The thing to keep in mind with asymmetry is that it's mostly the result of natural processes, while humans prefer to create symmetry. In fact, there's nothing wrong with having symmetrical designs in man-made creations (vehicles and certain interiors are two examples). Asymmetry will confer a "lived-in" character to your environments, so a good way to break up the symmetry of a scene is to look at how the original symmetry of a man-made construct could become "broken". Dirt and wear are good examples, though they wouldn't apply to a clay render. A really good idea could be to place a couple items that could hint at the purpose of your corridor: boxes, crates, tools, or maybe a maintenance vehicle (belonging to the guy who fixes those pipes). You could remove a section of the mesh grating and leave it there with some tools and a toolbox, to hint that someone was performing maintenance on some of the electronics/machinery under the floor. The fun thing with those changes is that they help not only break symmetry, but also confer a lot of personality to your scenes by telling a story about them.
  • gparente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed the wiring on the ceiling as you mentioned. As for the door, I'm going to see what I can do with texturing before I change it. I also added a narrative like you mentioned. I placed a tool box (not seen well at this angle) with a few tools in there, while also removing the floor panel off to the side to show that someone/something was or is down there fixing something. I think the floor trim is a good idea, however for the time that I have, I'm going to stick with what I have and keep going. Thank you for your comments!

• fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good changes so far, I like it!
  • gparente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gparente