Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

fresh eyes if you please

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
Started out as a simple creature exercise but have since evolved a bit beyond that. Good ref is hard to find, I have a few short clips from some recent films that serves as decent guide. Still feel pretty good about where this is at, but fresh eyes on it would be much appreciated, before I get too far along with some basic issues I didn't see earlier.  Does it look convincing? Natural? impressions, suggestions, links to ref footage, etc. would be greatly welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnyCeseaaM

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Hito, this is a really cool idea. I like the tension of the guy not seeing the monster at first, and how the final action happens just of screen.  I think your arm and leg movements are pretty good too. If you were to change them, I'd make them a bit more wild to contrast the smooth motions of the monster.
    2 things I'd like to see more of are torso twisting, and propulsion as a direct result of arm and leg movement. For the twisting, one of the cool things about underwater is the crazy poses you can achieve. While the guy is trying to turn himself away from the monster I think you can sell the desperation of that moment more by having his head lead by twisting to face camera, and then the rest of his body struggles to follow. Also, his power will still come from his core, so during those first few big poses as he's starting to swim I'd expect to see his torso doing some back and forth C poses.

As for the translation, I think you can sell this with a few well timed pushes early on in his panic. Towards the end when his feet are kicking really fast the current smoothness will work well, but early on I think it's too smooth which is fighting you as you try to sell the struggle. Right now I feel like the beginning should have more progress than it does and I think it's because I don't see direct feedback from his efforts.
    I'll try to find some reference when I get to my computer instead of my phone.
    Good luck!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    thanks! a lot of things I hadn't thought of.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    pushing those C poses, and varied up the creature path a bit. laid in a little facial anim.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmoN19EuBjU