Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Critique Needed

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kmacneil91 polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! Would you mind critiquing the anatomy on my project below?
Still need to add details to the face, and other areas... pores, wrinkles, veins, etc...

Much appreciated! :)

Replies

• Ragnar_Danneskjöld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ragnar_Danneskjöld polycounter lvl 6
    So..... I'm gonna assume that you are new to sculpting and some fool told you that anatomy is super important. Plot twist: IT'S NOT!!!
    What you really want to focus on are proportions and the big simple shapes. I recommend this book: Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy .
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, thanks! But I'm actually trying to get better at anatomy itself... just learning muscle basics and such. I've also been working on life drawing, but I wanted to practice it via sculpting, too.

Just looking for specifics on how to improve this model itself, if that makes sense.
  • Ragnar_Danneskjöld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry but there is no improving your model. you can't fix something that was built on a bad foundation.
    Best of luck though!
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks anyways :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry but there is no improving your model. you can't fix something that was built on a bad foundation.
    Best of luck though!
    That's bullshit advice. You can always fix things. Drop down to a lower subdivision and start pulling things into shape.

This is a good start! However the torso and hips/butt are really large compared to the limbs. The face is large compared to the skull. The lumps on the thighs make it look more like cellulite than muscle. The trapezius is overdeveloped compared to the rest of the shoulder/back muscles.

Keep going!
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, thanks so much! Glad to learn from you.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What reference are you using? I think it would help to embed a reference image right next to your screenshot, so you (and we) can compare the two.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I'd suggest dialing back and gathering references of a male body since that's what you're going for and comparing it side by side. Gather a lot of images and and if the hands , feet or face or whichever part you're focusing on doesn't look like one of your reference images , you'll see the differences and know what to fix.

Latsly , saying "there is no improving your model" is a completely dickish thing to say to someone who is new to sculpting
  • Ragnar_Danneskjöld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latsly , saying "there is no improving your model" is a completely dickish thing to say to someone who is new to sculpting
    I wish someone had said it to me when i started.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Just piggy backing off of other here. This book helped me out immensely and still does whenever things dont look just right. 

https://archive.org/details/andrew-loomis-drawing-the-head-hands
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you prefer to restart from scratch every time you notice your proportions are incorrect?
  • Ragnar_Danneskjöld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Chadwick said:
    Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you prefer to restart from scratch every time you notice your proportions are incorrect?
    No I don't restart from scratch, but I also don't add muscles and details to a foundation that is poorly constructed. At this point; restarting and learning how to do it correctly would be far more beneficial then trying to save this model, that is why I left a link to a book so they could learn this from an actual pro.

I'm sorry if i am being "dickish", from now i'll just link to books and tutorials and keep my mouth shut.
  • CrazyMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
    I mean... He doesn't know that he's messing up the proportions though, therefore he's asking for help. He knows something is wrong, but not what exactly it is. Saying he can't fix it doesn't help at all and just comes off as negative attitude imo.

@kmacneil91
    Not sure if you have tried Andrew Loomis' proportions. You should check this out: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JaI0xS0zO-o/TgEFAdsULII/AAAAAAAAABE/v2B_skUdW_E/s1600/Loomis%27+Proportions.png 
    It helped/helps me quite a bit with checking my proportions when I'm unsure of something I stick to these guidelines and move on from there. Take the picture into your zbrush spotlight and try to align your model with one of them. You'll spot quite a few mistakes to improve on :) Also keep in mind that you measure this in a ortographic view and not perspective (when referencing the image). Hope this helps and good luck! 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Since not much actual feedback has been given, heres my opinion:

1) Arms are too short 
    2) Torso is too wide 
    3) Neck is too long 
    4) Legs are too short
    5) Dat ass is too big
    6) I would highly recommend putting some sort of thigh gap in there simply for the sake of easier sculpting. 6)
    7) Palm to finger ratio is also wrong in the hands as are the finger joint placements but the other problems are much more pressing.

Provided you have decent sculpting topology this is all fixable in a 15 minutes by dropping to your base sub-d level and masking/moving pieces around. I don't think it's worth it to trash the whole mesh and start over, you should just keep at it with what you've got in my opinion and continuously improve it. 

I think you'll learn more that way since understanding what is wrong and how to fix it is more important at this stage in your development than learning best practices to avoid wasting time resculpting. This isn't clay, linear development might be desirable but it isn't mandatory.

But it isn't like anyone here can provide any data to back our conclusions up so feel free to do as you please.
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks everyone! I will put this advice to good use.