Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Abandoned Saloon

SaintJoe
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
SaintJoe null
Hi guys,

First time posting on here and wanted to share a little environment I've been working on during my spare time and get some feedback on what could be changed or added. 

Currently I like the environment but it feels as if there is something missing that would make it look less "empty".

Cheers

Replies

• Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    This piece is coming along nicely. Try pushing some colours into your textures as its all looking washed out at the moment. Plus set up some coloured lights into the scene, having some nice yellow gas lights would really add alot to this.

I decided to do a quick search for saloons in red dead redemption and got some screens that may give you some additional direction.

• SaintJoe
    Offline / Send Message
    SaintJoe null
    Awesome cheers for the advice. I'll look to add more colour
  • Nathan3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    +1 to Di$array there, its looking good, add add some colour variation. on your outside try doing something to the background instead of it just going into nothing on a flat ground. maybe create some trees or some type of foliage for the outside part.
    I dont know if its the angle of the camera but it looks like there are some scaling issues with things like the horse tie up post outside, it looks really small and the cash register looks really small too.
    as well as adding some colour you could try vertex paint some of the outside posts to stop the repetition of them so much.
    and maybe add some more props like rope, crates, posters etc
    looking good so far though :) 
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    One of the reasons it looks very washed out is also your lighting, it looks over exposed with no shadows to speak of. Lighting does a lot about the mood and getting the right look, the screenshots that Di$array posted shows the difference as well, so putting in a skylight and a directional light to simulate the sun, and bake the lighting, and see how it looks.
  • SaintJoe
    Offline / Send Message
    SaintJoe null
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll try and update with the changes soon. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'd throw some more broken glasses, old kegs, maybe even a wanted poster on the wall. Break some windows. Maybe a hole in the roof? The saloon looks like it was abandoned a few days ago. Maybe a tumble weed flew into the building! This might sound a bit weird, but that staircase is placed in an inefficient spot. It leads to a second floor and then you've gotta walk along the upstairs balcony to get to whatever is above the camera. It would be a waste of wood to build the building like that, when the staircase could have been built to the left or right of the bar.

The overturned table in front of the front door tells a neat story. Was there a gun fight where somebody was defending the saloon, and using this table for cover? That's something cool that I like about this scene!
  • SaintJoe
    Offline / Send Message
    SaintJoe null
    Hi guys,

Finally got around to doing some more on this scene, not everything is complete yet but wanted to sort out the lighting issue and add some additional props. Still need to add some broken glass and foliage to the outside but wanted to see what you thought of the lighting first. (Lighting mode is on Preview). Thinking the exterior shot is still a little to bright but the interior has a lot more colour and lighting compared to original images. 

Tried taking the images in the same locations as previous images. 

Cheers