Home Technical Talk

Best image library program for Texture Library?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
Most important features:
- Easily show contents of multiple nested folders at once (flatten folder structure)
- Support for all important file types, 32 Bit images. 

I used Picasa: Some files not supported like 32bit, Works better because you can select expand all for folders.
I used ACDSee: Most supported file types, but it is problematic to show contents of multiple nested folders at once.

Does anyone know a better texture library program?

Replies

• EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I am not sure, but I believe Adobe Bridge could work? I don't use it myself, but it is a part of the Adobe bundle, so I guess all the file types in Photoshop are supported.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @EliasWick guessed correct. :) Bridge does indeed fit your needs. It displays all the usual files: psd/tif/tga/png.hdr/exr/etc

And you can show a 'flat view' of all sub-folders.

To do this click View>check Show Items From Subfolders>Right click the folder you want>choose Show Items From Subfolders.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Have you tried digikam? It's free/opensource and has flat folder viewing with subfolders afaik. I can't find any information on whether it supports 32 bpp images but given that it costs nothing shouldn't be hard for you to test.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I haven't really used Bridge in many years. Has it improved in the last 4-5 years? Does it work for very large image libraries?

Digikam seems interesting but I doubt it will support 32 bit or PSD files. And I read it is rather slow when indexing.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't really used Bridge in many years. Has it improved in the last 4-5 years? Does it work for very large image libraries?

I'm still on CS6 and it's pretty decent. I don't use it that often but I've had a folder structure open with over 3000 images inside and it loads quite fast. Plus it has a handy filter feature for sub-folders.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    3000 is not that much :-)
    I need a CS6 (PS/AI) license :-|, haven't got one anymore. But I can't get a new one either so I need to find someone to buy it from I guess. I don't really like the subscription model.  It's ok if you have at least something to fall back on. I am glad I still have a up-to-date perpetual for 3dsmax :-)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear you, mate. I f**ked off Adobe when they introduced the subs. CS6 was the last perp licence and it's what I still use. It does all i need it to.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XnView might do what you want.