Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

19th Century Harpoon Gun

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Polygoblin polycounter
Completed this art test a few months ago for Crytek. It's about 2 weeks worth of work. I thoroughly enjoyed studying 19th century weaponry/technology. 

Feedback is always welcome. 

Replies

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work! I'm sure they were impressed! :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    they were! I passed. there was constructive feedback of course but I think they liked how much I was able to get done in a tight window
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work!
    Did you get a concept or did you come up with the design as well?
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Nice job! The feedback I'd give is that you could have increased the contrast between the leather and the wood. 
  • zhixson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zhixson polycounter lvl 8
    CybranM said:
    Nice job! The feedback I'd give is that you could have increased the contrast between the leather and the wood. 
    I agree. Maybe a touch of AO where the leather is touching the wood would help it pop a bit.
    Outstanding work, though!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Shyralon said:
    Nice work!
    Did you get a concept or did you come up with the design as well?
    I was given a concept to work from, though I made executive decisions w certain areas.
    CybranM said:
    yes, good point. this was one of the areas of feedback the weapons lead mentioned as well. thank you
    zhixson said:
    CybranM said:
    I agree. Maybe a touch of AO where the leather is touching the wood would help it pop a bit.
    Outstanding work, though!
    ah, that would help break the two materials apart even further. There needs to be more grease/grime/dirt in general. Thankfully it didn't doom me. I've learned to work that pass into the workflow sooner. Block it in with everything else instead of thinking of it as polish. 
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Added a breakdown and switched out the backdrop for something less bland.