Home Technical Talk

Maya to 3dsmax , OBJ export options. Normals doesn't look fine unless i apply the "Edit normals".

Vlp3r
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7
Hello

So basically iam a maya user and my client needs the output in 3dsmax scene file with some materials applied and also the smoothing groups.

So i applied the Soften/Harden edges in maya and exported the file in format OBJ to 3dsmax. But in max unless i apply the modifier "Edit Normals" the normals aren't looking fine. So i have to apply all the smoothing groups again in max. Is there any way to skip it?  Like i have already exported the file with "Smoothing : ON" in obj export options right? but still i have to apply the modifier edit normals.

Someone can explain me any technique to export it with normals perfectly so that i need not apply the smoothing groups in max again.

Softwares using : Maya 2014 and 3dsmax 2014

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Why don't you try/use FBX?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The OBJ importer/exporter in 3dsmax has a lot of issues. A lot has changed since they last updated it so you often get unpredictable results. 

Like Obscura suggested I would stick with FBX since they fully support that and keep it up to date. It is what they use to bridge the gap between their apps. It's not perfect it won't transfer rigs or get certain materials perfect but it's a lot more solid and carries over a lot more than OBJ.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds like it might be worth playing with the options under geometry and normals for smoothing group and normal transfer in the OBJ importer dialog.

if you choose to go with FBX make sure you end up with the correct scene scale and orientation though. there is the occasional surprise to be had with it...

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    I think you should get the correct normals from maya with obj/fbx - but these will be explicit and not smoothing group based.
    At least on my explorations on that issue it just didn't work that way - if someone has a simple solution I would be very interessted..

so yeah for max 2016+ you could try this:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2514219
    basically a way to reconstruct the hard/soft edges from explicit normals -> smoothing groups.

• Vlp3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7
    Obscura said:
    Why don't you try/use FBX?
    Like Obscura suggested I would stick with FBX since they fully support that and keep it up to date. 
    I tried FBX , though i uncheck the triangulate option , the mesh gets triangulated when i import into 3ds max. :( 

Also this is not rigged/animated object. It is just a vehicle with in game mesh which is to be delivered to the client in max 2013.
  • Vlp3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7
    thomasp said:
    sounds like it might be worth playing with the options under geometry and normals for smoothing group and normal transfer in the OBJ importer dialog.

if you choose to go with FBX make sure you end up with the correct scene scale and orientation though. there is the occasional surprise to be had with it...

I tried with smoothing on/off and i get the same result , i think the there is no other way unless you are stacking the edit normals modifier.
  • Vlp3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlp3r polycounter lvl 7
    The only way iam delivering the files are , not applying any soft/hard edges in maya importing into max adding the modifier "Edit normals" resetting them.

After that i am just selecting the object in element mode and activating auto-smooth from the smoothing groups section and 90% of the work gets done :D  Never knew 3dsmax was this good for smoothing groups 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    If you're on Maya/Max 2014 you can use the 'send to' feature to cut out the export/import step. It will preserve the surface shading but as mentioned above the normals in max will be explicit and the smoothing groups blank.