Home Technical Talk

[Maya] It's 2017. What is the BEST way to rig models?

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
This seems like a really general question, but I feel like I need to ask it now since a LOT of the tutorials I look up for it these days on youtube are impractical or have outdated workflows. I've also tried downloading premade rigs and trying to figure out how they tick but they just look endlessly complicated from the outside to me. I've rigged a few models and I know some of the basics, but my results have been embarrassing to say the least and I need to get better at it. 

Also, what do you guys think of Quick Rig, offered in Maya 2017? Is it worth exploring? Or should we stick to doing things the old fashioned way? I'd really like to know what you all think would be the best way to do things. 

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    that depends on your needs... if you need a fast rig go with the quick rig or use human Ik...
    if you need it even faster use the maximo rig from adobe and build your custom rig around it... 

if you like to learn rigging you have to learn scripting as well... all decent rigger have there own auto rigger... they build the rig by hand and in parallel they script it... if they have done the first rig in five days it does then take only 10min to do it again... they build libraries of all kind of rig stuff...
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    The rigging options in Maya are overwhelming. While you can create incredible detailed rigs and tools, you can also rig simple stuff quite fast.
    Or use prebuilt rigs and human IK as oglu mentioned. Ask yourself what you need (humanoids, for which you find many prebuilt solutions, use of mocap data, unique creatures, etc...) and avoid to do stuff too complicated in the beginning.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Maya is by far the best suite for rigging. Yes you can get quick rigs from mixamo, but what makes maya the best is the flexibility you get with scrips you can make to  your pipeline much more stream lined. I haven't used quick rig yet, but if you do tests with constraints and other tools, you'll soon learn to apply those tools to more complex rigs. I've also found Tech-artist.org to be a good forum to post any questions!
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Spend time understanding rigging and yes you must learn to script. Rigging is universal in any 3D app, same principal.