Home Technical Talk

Free script - Easy Multi-Attribute Connection UI

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Bosspanda485 polycounter lvl 2
I built this script to help rigging artists make multiple attribute connections at a time.
Demo:

Script download:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ila22a8mj5gmkab/AABO6J69RqX_LxMMfF0N1c6Ma?dl=0

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! And I was just pondering over how maya determines selection order a few moments ago.

I didn't follow your logic on choosing the offset with multiple selections?
  • Bosspanda485
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! And I was just pondering over how maya determines selection order a few moments ago.

I didn't follow your logic on choosing the offset with multiple selections?
    Yeah, for the most part it works pretty well, it's just in the node editor that things start making no sense.  If anyone has figured out anything about how the node editor operates behind the scenes, let me know. I'm getting tired of adding nodes and having them appear at random on the other side of the map.

Not sure what you mean about 'offset with multiple selections.' When I was mumbling and making a bunch of selections around 3:35 that was just because the weren't showing up in numerical order in the outliner.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at 5:00 - 5:40, "token selector", sorry not offset. It sounds like the numbers you pick assist in making selections across rows in the way you want, but I don't get what's going on there.
  • Bosspanda485
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at 5:00 - 5:40, "token selector", sorry not offset. It sounds like the numbers you pick assist in making selections across rows in the way you want, but I don't get what's going on there.
    Ah right.  The utility basically just automates the 'tokenize' command for this part. The tokenize script in maya basically looks for a "_" character, and then creates an array from each section of text in-between. So if you had a bunch of similar nodes called "left_foot_1_node" and you wanted to connect it to something called "left_buttock_connector_1", you would tell the script where to look for the matching value by telling it the token that it should look for.

The index starts at 0, so for "left_foot_1_node",
    0 = left
    1 = foot
    2 = 1
    3 = node

Then you'd set "left_buttock_connector_1"
    0 = left
    1 = buttock
    2 = connector
    3 = 1

so to have them connect by their number, you'd set the first index to '2' and the second to '3', and it'll go through and search for matches.
    It doesn't have to be numbers either.  Set the index on both sides to 0 in the above case, and it'll look for matches by the word "Left", which would be useful in an instance like this one:

INPUTS...............................................OUTPUTS
    left_foot_1_node.............................. right_buttock_connector_1
    right_foot_1_node.............................left_buttock_connector_1

But they do have to be unique, you can't have multiple inputs going into one output.

Hopefully that makes sense.