Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Emily Kaldwin FanArt, gameready mesh and skin study.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
Hello, polycount. So after a few failed attempts at making realistic skin in previous projects, I decided to make a sculpt to test out realistic skin and hair textures, and how they work inside a shader.

Since I've been playing Dishonored recently, I decided I would try and make Emily Kaldwin, since I really like how the ingame model also combines realism with cartoony features, to create a unique style.
Up to this point I've just been messing around Zbrush trying to block out the head, and make it look as close as
possible to my reference (Which is considerably shit, since I can't find any good ingame screenshots of the mesh, just a glimpse of the face in the teaser trailer and some concept art). 

For now I tested a super fast render in Substance painter, with a new light rig I set up in Marmoset.
I'll post updates as I finish the next stage. 

(First image is the most recent update)

And a really basic marmoset render.

Replies

• Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    Small update on roughness and some details

• Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    Another small update. Had some issues with roughness maps in marmoset and I found that inverting the roughness map and setting it to sRGB and switching to GGX reflections made it look way better. Another thing that gave the skin a more realistic look was to add a detail map with random noise and tiled it 30x smaller, so it made those little skin pores. Added in a little blood as well to have a good comparison while tweaking the roughness.
    Aslo baked some hair strands from zbrush and made a few hair cards. For the moment I still have to find a way to give the hair more volume without using a billion hair cards. 

• Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    A little bit more work on the eyebrows, eyelids and the skin texture. I'm really happy about how it's turning out, and I found a better way to fix roughness maps for marmoset.

• Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    Another small update. I made a quick scarf mesh to contrast the skin and I rebaked the hair textures and added some improved alpha maps.

• Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    Since last time I posted in here, I changed quite a few things:
    -To start off, I changed the facial expression to a typical relaxed pose (I want to possibly try blendshapes later)
    -Did a few tweaks on the face
    -Got rid of the handpainted zbrush skin texture (It ended up looking weird, without having the possibility to modify layer blend modes)
    -Made a quick body mesh and retop'd it, and started added clothes based on the original concept art