Home Technical Talk

Where to retopologize ?

hello
i was thinking what is the best software to retopo a model ? ok, maybe there is no such thing like "best" software but im thinking about retopo in zbrush, some ppl say its bad for retopo but i dont see anything wrong with doing retopo in zbrush. 

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The best place is where you're most comfortable. Zbrush is absolutely fine for retopo. Zsphere retopo is so easy to use. Plus the best thing about it is that there's no decimating/exporting/etc, you just retopo away in ZB.

I find people who say ZB is shit for retopo are those who just gave up in frustration and never really gave it a chance.
  • my account was removed all i got was lousy tshirt
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I guess maybe like musashidan said I just never really gave it a chance but I absolutely hate ZBrush retopo. 

Using Zspheres to retopo you have to do everything one vertex at a time and to move vertices that have already been placed you have to switch modes, it's basically the slowest way I could ever imagine retopologizing anything short of also having to manually create each face.

Using the retopology brush is slightly faster because you can draw out entire curves but it has its own set of problems in that unless you select another brush you can't actually edit a curve after you've put it down, you can only delete them which means if you want to adjust something you have to delete the curve and redraw it.

Retopology in ZBrush can be done, and it is simple (very much to a fault, not to its benefit imo) but it is incredibly slow and inconvenient. I think it's fine for simple things but I would rather use just about any other program.