Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Matoi Ryuko Kill la Kill model

Salulu
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Salulu polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys,
I've recently got into 3D a few months ago and am loving it!
Just wanted to share the model I've been working on in that time.

I'm a big fan of Kill la Kill and Studio Trigger, and guys like Yoh Yoshimari and Shuhei Handa are a big inspiration to me (it'd be cool if one of them saw this :D)
So wanted to do something from one of Trigger's shows.

There was certainly a lot of headaches in the process, whether it was learning all the programs needed, figuring out how to bake out normals without errors, fiddling with hair cards for days to get them to look right, rigging and painting skin weights, you name it.
Thankfully had a great friend who was willing to teach me how to use Maya and Zbrush, without him I probably would have quit haha
A lot to learn and took quite a long time to finish, and still not entirely satisfied with the final piece, but need to stop at some point and move on.
Total polycount ended up being just under 30k.
Can't wait to start on a new project with everything I've learned now.
I'll be posting more stuff on my Artstation in the future here https://www.artstation.com/artist/salu

Replies

• JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, as someone who recently doing 3d, your work look really astounding, congrats for finishing it. ( even I still couldn't make a decent hair cards till this day)

As a fan of Kill la Kill myself, your model are looking awesome. I'm not an expert, and i know that you already moved on to other projects, but If you take some feedback, i would say that you need to break her hair and add some silhouette to match with the original Ryuko design. Add more reaction to her face as Ryuko's personality is known for its fierceness. And bring out the AO map to the texture, as the transition between the skin and clothes look a little bit jarring.

Everything else looks good, loved the cloth, the skins and her body proportion, and nice pose for the final presentation.

I'm a fan of everything Trigger's myself too, more of Imaishi fan myself, but can't wait to watch more Yoshinari's Little Witch Academia this season. Would love it if your next project would be from LWA itself, for consideration.

You should post your Work in Progress in here too when you start your new projects, so you could ask for more feedback from a lot of other people around the world to help you shape your art. Can't wait to see your other projects, good luck!
  • Salulu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Salulu polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, as someone who recently doing 3d, your work look really astounding, congrats for finishing it. ( even I still couldn't make a decent hair cards till this day)

As a fan of Kill la Kill myself, your model are looking awesome. I'm not an expert, and i know that you already moved on to other projects, but If you take some feedback, i would say that you need to break her hair and add some silhouette to match with the original Ryuko design. Add more reaction to her face as Ryuko's personality is known for its fierceness. And bring out the AO map to the texture, as the transition between the skin and clothes look a little bit jarring.

Everything else looks good, loved the cloth, the skins and her body proportion, and nice pose for the final presentation.

I'm a fan of everything Trigger's myself too, more of Imaishi fan myself, but can't wait to watch more Yoshinari's Little Witch Academia this season. Would love it if your next project would be from LWA itself, for consideration.

You should post your Work in Progress in here too when you start your new projects, so you could ask for more feedback from a lot of other people around the world to help you shape your art. Can't wait to see your other projects, good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I struggled a lot with the hair, placing hair cards to make them look good with the alpha texture is so difficult, all the overlapping alpha problems too T-T.
    I had a version of the hair that was a bit closer to the original silhouette actually, but couldn't quite make it look appealing or get the spikey ends to look right with my alpha textures, so after many tries just ended up rounding it out closer to a cosplay pic I saw.
    Definitely one of the areas I wasn't very satisfied with, hopefully I can improve a lot on it for next time.
    I'll be sure to post some WIP's for next time too, would be awesome to get some feedback and help from others while working on things.

And I'm definitely tempted to do something LWA related in the future, might have a go at keeping it closer to the anime style, like anime figures do.
    Thanks again and best of luck to you too!