Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechs, Machines and Stuff

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Shrike interpolator
Hey, so Im working on some enemies for my game, Synthetik
Currently I have a lot of humanoids and smaller drones, but I need to start on some more interesting stuff

Here is a Hovertank which is kind of C&C Tiberian Sun inspired, it fires two kinds of rockets right now, but it it supposed to have a coaxial laser or something along these lines too. 

RECENT UPDATES ON BOTTOM!

Tiberium Sun inspired Hovertank (WIP)

The sprites are offline rendered in cinema 4d and then I use GMS 1.4 for the actual game

A glider with a pretty strong laser array (press F5 if the gifs dont work) Really like how that one turned out

Sawblade bot, animation not perfect yet but o.k. enough to not feel unfinished I suppose, ill polish that later

Railgun Glider (no gif here) - I think that one maybe looks too speedy, ingame its supposed to be pretty static, charging up the railgun and shooting through walls - maybe ill switch the gun and make it a attacker type and do another one for a sniper role that looks less 'aerodynamic' - not sure 

Now ill try to get some more medium sized bots with threads or 4 legs together, for mechs I dont have any animations yet so these will come last. Probably posting more tomorrow. What do you think ? 

(Game footage on game website is pretty dated)

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool designs! are they going to stay gray or are you going to texture them up with more materials and colours?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Looks very nice and I also like you game project! Really promising! Maybe I did ask that before, but do you have any plans for a PS4 release?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Thanks guys! They will stay gray, none really use UV textures its all with tiling materials, however there is color grading in the game making them pop more and making colors stronger than in my preview renders. The artstyle is kind of minimal and 'clean' so they will stay pretty plain. 
    Everything is pretty metal-ish coupled with 1-2 highlight colors each

Im still not perfectly happy how the game looks (the footage on the website is pretty dated btw) but there has been a lot of progress and I think I can push it a bit further still. Ps4 would be nice, when the game is out its certainly on the try to do list. 

Here is another colleague - Whats up with gifs not working ? 

Final version of the Railgun Glider:

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Comparison between Octane (GPU renderer) and my Cinema 4D setup.
    Octane is 20x faster but sadly the results are not as I want and I think the C4D result is clearly superior 

Got around to making more models, this time for special objects you can build or use

(gif)
    Item upgrade terminal, each item in the game can be empowered many times and become a gamechanger 
    Initially I wanted to do a fullscreen menu but the small one is far more convenient and plenty 

The soul catcher collects energy if you get kills around it, and the right one gives a strong powerup on a cooldown
    They need to be powered by a 'car battery' and you have to be a bit selective and choose from a pool of such stations

Worked on a lot of other stuff and spent around a week on the talent trees, icons missing still, turned out better than expected 
    Everything eventually starts coming together - really need to update the website soon 

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

Preview render of the madness accelerator Flak tank, that one is gonna have insane firerate but slow turnrate.
    Ill put the firerate as high as I can without the FPS dropping too hard, so that one is gonna be intense. 

Mainly working on environments right now, making very good progress, it really starts looking presentable, showing more soon. 
  • robomaniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robomaniac polycounter lvl 15
    oh man, looks cool. my fav is hover tank definitely ! keep gong!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Thanks man! 

Finally getting around in the environments, and finally got some color. 
    Reworked AO and added colored AO, shadows and ambient light, so lighting is much more harmonic
    This is a WIP of the second floor / tileset, (Military Training) missing a bit of ground decals but thats pretty much the direction its going. The blocks are artificial training obstacles, I figured I can make some concrete sculpture style things while at it. There is like 16 varied ones but the dice roll was bad in the screenshot 

So happy finally things look halfway decent, first floor now also looks a lot better, such a far cry from the total grayness and terrible layouts I have on the website, still haven't really mastered it, and the rectangular ground fields are a huge limitation but its getting presentable 

+ New UI, so much iteration spent on what now looks so minimalistic ..
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Pretty sweet aesthetic so far 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Well done! Really like the contrast of colors!

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hey thanks guys! That means a lot, really happy im finally over this hurdle, I thought id never make it look any decent

The first floor looks like this right now, kind of hard getting a screenshot, made a bit of a mess while getting shot and bombarded left and right

Definitely needs some work but its getting there
    For comparison, this is how it looked last time I made a thread
    https://hostr.co/dv6rY8iqxCVI

Its important that players feel good in the first floors (as they will repeat a lot due to dying)
    I need to do something that feels welcoming, so I went with this ocean blue and the orange for the second floor, afterwards it will get progressively more grim and the last floor will be very gray and red

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Got around doing the tanks, the Accelerator Flak is working but only shoots bullets as of now, but the Main battle tank, that thing is a total beast. I thought I could get the tank working kind of crappily but it turned out very well, but its not done yet

The previous gray was too bland, I now went with the Bee theme for the flak tank and a striking orange for the MBT, the rest of the gray still is a nice contrast with the colored grounds

Worked on a lot of other stuff as always too

Arent they cute together ? : P

Here is a webm with it in action, it does not feel like driving tho

http://www.webm.land/w/9j0v/
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

Very work in progress preview of the Reality Chambers, having this kind of alien crystal style - hard to get a good screenshot

took so long getting a crystal material, at the start I was full on SSS and refraction and whatnot but render times were through the roof

The floor is still very empty but its not the best screenshot example. I rendered out like 20 different crystal formations

Spidertruck, the animation is kinda choppy but fine enough for me. Dont want to use too many frames 

So much other progress in the last time, gotta post more moving images