Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Truck Kraz 255B

Disturb22
null
Hello!

First of all i want to say Hello to everyone, it's my first topic here. I've finished my Truck project few days ago, and i want to share it with you. It would be great if i could get some tips and criticism for the future. Textures 4k made in Substance Painter and Designer. Rendered in iRay.

Replies

• fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    Nice!

I do have one tip for texturing. It looks like the dirt/mud textures you used on the model are too heavy. They're great for "ground" dirt (which you can even add quickly using a smart mask in substance if you baked world normals), but because of their strong normal bump and relatively uniform pattern, they don't do so well on large flat surfaces, such as the bed of your truck, or the "box" (idk what to call it) between the cabin and the bed.

Something I'd recommend is to prepare a different "general" dirt texture to cover most of your truck; ideally one with weaker normals, and less uniform tiling (you can blend two noises/grunges to have different levels of tiling, though uniformity won't matter as much if it's lighter). Also, you can paint directly onto your masks - something you should do with a textured brush to erase some of the heavier dirt, and create a blend of areas with more and less dirt.
  • Disturb22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disturb22 null
    Thanks ;) Mud textures are heavy, but this is what i wanted to achieve. Im relatively young artist, this is my first big project, i need to practise my eyes to details like this. Anyway thanks for your tips! I highly appreciate it!

• fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    No problem! It's already 80-90% of the way to being photorealistic (for a game asset), I'd say you're almost there!
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work, though I would +1 the mud looks too uniform. You could try breaking it up with some color/value variation - for example, if some was freshly splattered near the wheels it could be darker/wet. That would add more realism and break things up a bit.  You could also add some things like grass bits and leaves, or even bootprints or handprints from where people would have interacted with the truck. Just some suggestions! Overall it looks good.
  • Disturb22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disturb22 null
    Good point, i should've add some wet mud ! But if You will take a closer look You can find bootprints and handprints :P It was hard to get good photos of it becouse rendering in iray and im not quite good at it.