Home Unreal Engine

Where are the slots for these texture maps in UE4?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6

Hey guys,

So Im learning UE4 and Im in the material editor and see all the slots to place materials in.

The first thing I notice is the normal and specular map slots.
...Its also the last things I notice

-So far Ive only been taught to use Vector node to make a parameter from 0-1 for the mettallic, specular and roughness...
How does this work for specular if I have 2 maps for it?(Below 6,7,13)

Where can I attach all these other maps I have? (If you know even one of them please do so, hopefully broken pieces from many individuals will complete the puzzle!)

1)Diffuse Map@(BaseColor)

2)Shallow SSS map

3)Mid SSS map

4) Deep SSS map

5)Deep Mask

6)Primary Specular map

7)Secondary Specular map

8)Glossy map@(Gloss is Roughness)

9)Bump Map@(Normal)

10)Displacement textures

11)Displacement Map

12)Eyes Diffuse map@(BaseColor)

13)Eyes Specular map

14)Eyes Bump map @(Normal)

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    These are the maps you can use for a regular material:

Some are greyed out because due to the shader used.

Specular in UE4 is not specular as it appears in other engines/renderers. It only allows for non-colored specular between 0% and 0.8%, represented as a 0-1 range, with a default of 0.5 which is 4% reflection: The typical average for most non-metallic objects in real life and it should generally be left alone.

Using Metallic replaces the specular with whatever is in the Base Color map. For example, 0.5 in the Metallic slot will set the shader's internal specular value to a 50-50 blend of Specular's value and Base Color's value, while also darkening the internal diffuse value (which was originally Base Color) by 50%. So following that logic a metallic of 1 will make Diffuse black and use Base Color as the specular.

This technique may seem a bit strange if you're used to doing specular directly but it's a way to force artists to make realistic materials by not making a material with high specular values AND high diffuse values, as real world materials tend to fall in 2 categories: dielectric and metallic.

Base Color is their name for Diffuse. Bump maps are done through Normal instead. Displacement is World Displacement combined with Tessellation Multiplier. Gloss is Roughness. SSS is done with Subsurface Color and Opacity I think. None of those other maps you list exist, but you should be able to get the same basic results except for not having access to multi-layered SSS.
  • gene098
    Offline / Send Message
    "None of those other maps you list exist, but you should be able to get the same basic results except for not having access to multi-layered SSS."

Hey what do you mean by they dont exist?
    I have a picture right here to show what they look like
    http://img.techpowerup.org/161230/upload-toue4.png

• gene098
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy said:

Specular in UE4 is not specular as it appears in other engines/renderers. It only allows for non-colored specular between 0% and 0.8%, represented as a 0-1 range, with a default of 0.5 which is 4% reflection: The typical average for most non-metallic objects in real life and it should generally be left alone.

Using Metallic replaces the specular with whatever is in the Base Color map. For example, 0.5 in the Metallic slot will set the shader's internal specular value to a 50-50 blend of Specular's value and Base Color's value, while also darkening the internal diffuse value (which was originally Base Color) by 50%. So following that logic a metallic of 1 will make Diffuse black and use Base Color as the specular.

This technique may seem a bit strange if you're used to doing specular directly but it's a way to force artists to make realistic materials by not making a material with high specular values AND high diffuse values, as real world materials tend to fall in 2 categories: dielectric and metallic.

Im sorry so are you basically saying that I can't use my specular maps?
  • gene098
    Offline / Send Message

“Displacement is World Displacement combined with Tessellation Multiplier”

I have 2 displacement maps, the displacement map and the displacement textures.

Which goes where?

“SSS is done with Subsurface Color and Opacity”

So which of the 3 SSS maps do I use?

• radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    The traditional specular workflow has been replaced by the metallic workflow in UE4's adoption of physically based rendering.
    Read through this for clear concise information on how to author, and convert old assets for the metallic worklflow
    https://www.marmoset.co/posts/pbr-texture-conversion/ 
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    What are these texture maps used for?

2)Shallow SSS map
    3)Mid SSS map
    4) Deep SSS map
    5)Deep Mask
    6)Primary Specular map
    7)Secondary Specular map

It would be good to provide what the use of the texture maps you've listed are. 
    Perhaps images or a reference from the shader you are used to working with
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    gene098 said:
    somedoggy said:

Im sorry so are you basically saying that I can't use my specular maps?
    Yep. You have to use metalness (I know, not so great). Other than that when the metalness is 0 you can control the specular amount between the range i mentioned but cannot tint it.
    gene098 said:

“Displacement is World Displacement combined with Tessellation Multiplier”

I have 2 displacement maps, the displacement map and the displacement textures.

Which goes where?

“SSS is done with Subsurface Color and Opacity”

So which of the 3 SSS maps do I use?

Not sure what the difference between your "displacement map" and the "displacement textures" is. Could you clarify? World Displacement does the displacing and Tesellation Multiplier tells it how much subdivision detail you want.

Subsurface Color tells it what the scattering color is. Opacity determines how much light bleeds. You'll have to chose what maps you wanna use.
  • gene098
    Offline / Send Message
    What are these texture maps used for?

2)Shallow SSS map
    3)Mid SSS map
    4) Deep SSS map
    5)Deep Mask
    6)Primary Specular map
    7)Secondary Specular map

It would be good to provide what the use of the texture maps you've listed are. 
    Perhaps images or a reference from the shader you are used to working with

Shallow SSS map
    one of the essential SSS components.
     Mid SSS map
    The second element of making a good SSS skin shader.
    Deep SSS map
    The third SSS component and its colors.

Deep Mask
    Controlling deep map influence.

Primary Specular map
    The main specular map, regions and intensities.

Secondary Specular map
    Enhancing facial features and reflections.

• ActionDawg