Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Student Animation Showreel Critique

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
BradleyMAdams polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys, hope you've had a great christmas and soon to be a good new year.

I've been building up my showreel for when I graduate university next year some time in May 2017.

Anyhow, below is my current showreel and I'd love some feedback on how to improve, change, edit the showreel as I will be aiming it for a junior role.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/186180989" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">Bradley Adams - 3D Animator - 2016</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user10917796">Bradley Adams</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Bradley, awesome stuff so far. Great job keeping your reel short. One thing that would be helpful to know is if you are targeting a specific industy  (games, vfx, etc).
    Onto some critique!
    The Dino ha's a lot of good subtle movement. The 2 moment to I would Polish more are the weight change when it looks left, and then the weight change just before the roar. They both have AA jerky feel to them, like I can tell that you rotated the COG.
    The arrow hit react: I can't figure out what the cause it (watching this on my phone) but it looks like there is the initial impact, then a pause in the momentum, and then he gets pushed backwards. I like the acting on the pushback, just make sure there isnt a break in the momentum in the middle. Also, I'm glad to see the feet moving around, but once he plants his feet for the last pose before falling down they are stuck there. Add some tiny weight shit's just to keep them alive. 
    The ladies lip sync I think is the weakest piece on here. It's a bit floaty and when I watch without sound I can't tell what her emotion is. I think the talking head from.before shows these same skills in a better light.
    I really want to like the last shot because it's a fun action shot, but the posing needs some work. The big guy needs way more anticipation for his hit for example. If you want to push this shot, I suggest uploading it to syncsketch so people can do drawovers.
    I like the variety in your shots and I think it'll be a strong reel when you smooth a few things out and push the last shot further.

• BradleyMAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyMAdams polycounter lvl 3
    tholmes3d said:
    Hey Bradley, awesome stuff so far. Great job keeping your reel short. One thing that would be helpful to know is if you are targeting a specific industy  (games, vfx, etc).
    Onto some critique!
    The Dino ha's a lot of good subtle movement. The 2 moment to I would Polish more are the weight change when it looks left, and then the weight change just before the roar. They both have AA jerky feel to them, like I can tell that you rotated the COG.
    The arrow hit react: I can't figure out what the cause it (watching this on my phone) but it looks like there is the initial impact, then a pause in the momentum, and then he gets pushed backwards. I like the acting on the pushback, just make sure there isnt a break in the momentum in the middle. Also, I'm glad to see the feet moving around, but once he plants his feet for the last pose before falling down they are stuck there. Add some tiny weight shit's just to keep them alive. 
    The ladies lip sync I think is the weakest piece on here. It's a bit floaty and when I watch without sound I can't tell what her emotion is. I think the talking head from.before shows these same skills in a better light.
    I really want to like the last shot because it's a fun action shot, but the posing needs some work. The big guy needs way more anticipation for his hit for example. If you want to push this shot, I suggest uploading it to syncsketch so people can do drawovers.
    I like the variety in your shots and I think it'll be a strong reel when you smooth a few things out and push the last shot further.

@tholmes3d

Thank you! I'm targeting the film industry in terms of animation.

I'll start on improving the shots, yeah I agree with the last one it does need alot more work. Do you think the showreel could benefit other areas such as more creature or more acting for the intended industry i want to go into?

I've included a syncsketch link,
    https://syncsketch.com/playground/c6db141f0746480cb9c1ce0440223a83#136564