Home Adobe Substance

HSL filter is too sensitive

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
Hi all

Compared to Photoshop,  'hsl filter' slider  in Painter and Designer is a lot more sensitive. Decreasing of 0.1 gives almost a b&w image.

cheers.

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    +1.   Substance Designer lacks so many small conveniences form  any regular image editor I still often prefer Photoshop  even for procedural materials (with a help of Filter Forge) 

Another few most annoying ones:
    no scaling around precisely placed center of transforms. 
    no mesh/curve/puppet wrap or any kind of image deforms
    no node bypass  similar like on/off layers or smart object adjustments  in Photoshop
    no saved gradient library with quick access within gradient map node (like with Adjustments>gradient map in PS)  . To be honest the hole node library is pretty inconvenient.
    very few truly  scalable noises.

The whole approach with "hidden"  node interconnections  and behavior with some Relative to something and exposed functions  turns  even my own sbs files into puzzles I sometimes have to waste my time to figure out how I did it some time after.    No other node based system I work with: Fusion, 3d max, Blender ever  make me such problem.
    I still have to use SD, using it for years actually , but each time it annoys me immensely     
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool that someone noticed this too :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    It's not actually that it's too sensitive per se. What's happening, at least as far as I've discovered, is that instead of saturation being a scale/multiplier, it's actually doing a linear shift in the saturation (you'll note that with a fully saturated color, you need to shift the slider all the way to the left, whereas a low-sat color goes to grey very quickly, as you've demonstrated in your original post).

That's not to say this isn't annoying, mind. I've done up a custom HSL node to fix thia behavior at work (works closer to how we're used to). I'll recreate it at home and share it up if you'd like. 

For the gradients, it's definitely inconvenient not being able to save gradient swatches, but what you can do to work around this (still not as convenient, mind) is to create a custom node that contains all your gradient presets, with a dropdown to select. 
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wohoo! 
    btw looks like they fixed it! :D
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It's not fixed, since we didn't touched at it at all. :)
    I will see how we can improve that, because our current implementation can feel a bit odd indeed.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw in "fix" notes that you guys changed in behavior of hsl, amazing :D