Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Asset Presentation - Advice needed

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys,

So the past month or so I have been attempting take my attempt in creating Game Art Props/Environment with an intent to create a portfolio to either get myself into a small studio or modding team. Here's a quick backstory, so you can gauge me/mywork:
- self-taught on/off since at least a year ago
- realised I wanted to focus on the Medieval/Medieval Fantasy theme (it's what I love)
- Props + World building is something I love (general props, architecture and rocks)

Last year for me was discovering what software to continue learning fully, what kind of artist I want to become and other crappy 2016 stuff that happened.

I have created two props to get me used to the workflow I reallly wanted to learn, which was:

- Baking down to LP (something I didn't really do at all
- PBR texturing (never touched it, I fell I need to learn more about this)
- (the big one for me) FINISHING a project. I still feel new to this, despite over the years that I couldn't buy a computer but read forums in the library, watched others work, and on consoles analyse environments.

Canvas Project (finished)
Obelisk Project (intend to tweak)

There are things I do that I should be working toward making better, which is going to happen, but the one I'm stuck on is presenting my work. 

obelisk artstation page: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/knAZ6
canvas map artstation page: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LO9Z0

some of the feedback has been that my props are hurt by not having a 'slicker' presentation and better lighting. I think consistency of lighting is one thing I'm getting wrong. but I also have two choices in presenting these props:

1. as a singular asset (canvas isn't shown indoors but rather levitating in space with fixed lighting in different directions)

2. as an asset part of the environment (obelisk is part of a dry and ancient landscape. with prop being lit by sun/moon or a campfire etc)

what is your opinion? 

Sorry if I write a LOT, I tend to try and provide as much relative info as I can.

Peace
Beardy

Replies

• Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to test some way to keep the lighting consistent whilst having different angles of the prop shown at once. It was done in Marmoset2 and I simply use 2 light sources (dark orange from the left and brighter white on the right) I like the idea of duplicating the same asset and show different parts of it in the same scene, using the same light sources)

Peace
    Beardy
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Personally I think your assets are really good and I like the current presentation as well - it looks clean and shows all the important details (wires, textures etc).
    Obviously it would make an even better impression if you could present them as part of a environment scene but I would only do that if the surrounding props/environment have the same level of quality - it would only hurt you to rush some props in order to have -something- in the background so either take your time to build a proper, full environment or leave the presentation like it is right now (which is working quite good in my opinion).
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shyralon Thanks very much, appreciate the feedback. I think in future, I should have my assets in a game environment (UE4, Skyrim etc) as well as marmoset presentations :)
  • Bomb_Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bomb_Bear polycounter lvl 4
    @Shyralon Thanks very much, appreciate the feedback. I think in future, I should have my assets in a game environment (UE4, Skyrim etc) as well as marmoset presentations :)

Yeah pretty much what Shyralon said. But yeah you are not exactly an environment artist per se ;) more prop artist at this point. :)

Keep it up!

• Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bomb_Bear

Yeah! I agree :D I think I don't like jumping from learning 'how' to model, doing a single prop and then to a full blown environment :)

I think I'm going to try some props (using different methods) then some interiors (get used to tiling textures and some props and an engine) and then perhaps a full environment.

I guess I take a bit more time to do things haha

have a good xmas all btw

Peace