Home Technical Talk

Re-scaling Hi Res mesh with skin wrap

joebount
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
joebount polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys,

I want to re-scale and move a hi-poly mesh by skin wrapping it to a low poly and morphing that low poly back to its original place and scale. The issue is that the high res mesh becomes noisy when the morphing is done.
I played with the different options but it looks like the scaling bit doesn't give me the result I was hopping for ...

Any idea how to fix that or to do it in a different way?

Thanks guys

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hey man,
    while it may be possible that the modifier simply fails to preserve the shape due to accuracy issues if the scale difference is too great i think i would first attempt to insert different levels of deform proxies and bind them in sequence to see if it's just the low poly not grabbing all the high polies vertices firmly within the influence radius. the goal should be to get the influence controls dialed down as far as possible to avoid getting blobby deformations.

e.g. morphing low poly level 1 -> skinwrap -> low poly level 2 (snapshot of level 1 but with extra subdivisions and adjustments where needed to capture detail) -> skin wrap -> low poly level 3 (snapshot of level 2 with even more refinements to drive local high detail areas and added floating bits to grab e.g. eyeballs inside the head) -> skin wrap -> high poly mesh

you'll need to make sure for every level that they deform as intended before binding the next stage to that. if it starts getting crash happy with multiple layered skin wrap modifiers, create snapshots out of your highest level proxies when they already work well and try a direct skin wrap + morph to the high poly with those.