Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sinanju Stein Gundam - Weapon & Shield completed

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

recently I finished the first two parts of my gundam project.
The plan is to build a complete Gundam for my portfolio, to be more precise, the Sinanju Stein Gundam from Gundam Unicorn:

I have the Master Grade Model-Kit at home for reference, which should allow me a high level of details.
For the textures I want to go a little more realistic and gritty then the original anime version.

The first two parts I finished were the easiest one: The gun and the shield

More Pictures can be found on my artstation profile: https://www.artstation.com/artist/dethling

The next step now is to build a blockout of the Gundam itself, which I hope to get done in the next days.
If you have any comments, critics, feedback or helpful tips, PLEASE post them.

Replies

• Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    It's a good start, maybe try placing your grime a bit more purposefully on your model - particle effects and hand painting onto areas of high wear should help with that (front of the gun, prominent edges etc).

You have the right idea with getting the gunpla guides, other useful info like height can be found on the Gundam wiki if you want to make it to scale ;)

Personally I wouldn't say a blockout is essential if you're modelling components individually (which is essential if you want to pose it), if you have the plans you should be able to get it right first time.

Good luck!
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with the blockout today, so far I did the shoulder parts and the parts of the chest armor:

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't have that much time at the moment, but the blockout is slowly coming together.
    I'm working from the "orthographic" views for the decal placement of the model kit:

I try to blockout the parts separately so I can later refine every part using the model kit itself as reference and fill the holes.
    The progress so far:

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't able to work as much on the model as I would like to due to x-mas family time, but neitherless did some filling and started the head blockout:

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some additional work on the feets, as well as the basic materials.
    Also brought the feets into UE4 and added some decals
    Since I want to build the gundam in real size (22 meters high), I decided to use mid-poly modeling with chamfered edges and floating decals & normal projection details.
    Will move on to the lower leg, which will include also interior mechanic parts (maybe once finished I will use it to learn rigging, too^^).
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some time past by, I used it to get a better understanding of the mid-poly weighted normals workflow and did a small rework of the feet.

There still some areas which aren't 100% perfect, but I think it's a good start.
    The Vert count of these parts are ~5.500 not sure if this is ok or not. :)

If you have any feedback, critics or help (especially for the wireframe), feel free to post it. :)
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the modelling for the interior part of the leg. It's really impressive how detailled the Gunla models are (even inside which you will never see if the model is completely assembled. I decided to keep the same level of detailling to maybe I can do some "armor assembly scene" later. :)
    Also the complex shapes are a good training :)

• ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like it's not a sub D model. Or is it? It would be more challenging to build Sinanju instead of the Stein version. 
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No it's not SubD, just mid-poly with weighted face normals. The leg itself has no weighted normals yet, since I'm struggling a little bit with the proportions and moving parts of it.
    My plan is to ge the leg ready this weekend.

And I choose the stein version since I have the model kit at home (so plenty of reference) and it has also more of the classic Gundam style compared to the Red Comet. ;)