Home Technical Talk

reduce draw calls on mesh instances from maya in UNREAL

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Chhikara null

Hello everyone out there,

I am new to unreal and have been using it for past 6 months. last week I encountered the term draw calls and thought how hard can it keep them under control coz I only have 10 individual pieces which are instanced and scattered 13000 times in Maya and then imported into unreal using *FBX imported using Import Into level*.

when I check draw calls count using the ***

statSceneRendering

*** CMD it shows more than 20,000 which is extremely high for VR. according to unreal the suggested draw call shd not be more than 500.

I only have 10 Individual pieces and 4 shaders which are making the whole environment but I don't know why I am getting so many draw calls.

I have created a test scene replicating the same issue I am having if anyone wants to give it a shot.

*sample scene download Link :* https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoPgVfp1H6gjoQyyiIOROKe3BBFT

what I don't understand is why UNREAL doesn't automatically create INSTANCED static mesh instead of static mesh in blueprint class upon importing my FBX file for all the instanced geometry which I instanced in Maya

please help so that I can finish the project and not have to work on this during Christmas. My Christmas is on the line Guys.

Thanks a lot for your time.