Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 2 Problems with seams.

Hi,

Whenever I zoom out in the viewport seams apear but when I zoom in they disappear. I'm not sure what is going on?

Replies

• The_Silent_One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed the problem. In Photoshop all the maps had a mask applied so the areas outside the uv shells were maked off. Upon exporting, it generated a solid colour for the areas outside the uv shells and this caused the seams. If you have a problem like this and want me to elaborate just message me.
  • sodash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sodash polycounter lvl 2
    Hello, im having the same issue as you mentioned... How did you solve this? Thank you.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is caused by mip-mapping. As you zoom out, a lower resolution texture is used.

The way to solve this is to make sure all of your maps have pixel padding or a solid background that is similar to the color of the texture. Otherwise you'll get errors along the UV seams with the mip maps.
  • sodash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sodash polycounter lvl 2
    I think I have solved it. Thank you so much!
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    The problem is caused by mip-mapping. As you zoom out, a lower resolution texture is used.

The way to solve this is to make sure all of your maps have pixel padding or a solid background that is similar to the color of the texture. Otherwise you'll get errors along the UV seams with the mip maps.
    Joe, would you recommend leaving a little bit more space inbetween UV shells to accommodate for this issue? I usually use Moderate passing but pack the UV shells real tight for my Artstation pieces but in a game environment this might cause issues?