Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine for Animation Movie(Need Help)

Ibrahim Aysan
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ibrahim Aysan polycounter lvl 8
Hi i have a question. I am thinking about using unreal engine as a renderer.My question is if i make my animations with environment in 3ds Max how can i import it to engine? I know i can build my environment in engine then get skeletal meshes but i want to get exact cordinates from max to engine for my characters and i need help about it. Thank you.

Replies

• schmigel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schmigel polycounter lvl 2
    I would recomend you do some tests before starting.
    Try the IMPORT LEVEL in unreal engine. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/FullScene/
    You should import the FBX with all the 3Dsmax assets.

But again, test before. In the documentation all looks perfect.

If it doesnt work you will need to import the assets one by one and position in the world.
    In max you can position the asset where you want it and grab the pivot to origin. Then you can be very precise when importing all assets to max.
    But I would not recomend that.
  • Ibrahim Aysan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ibrahim Aysan polycounter lvl 8
    schmigel said:
    I would recomend you do some tests before starting.
    Try the IMPORT LEVEL in unreal engine. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/FullScene/
    You should import the FBX with all the 3Dsmax assets.

But again, test before. In the documentation all looks perfect.

If it doesnt work you will need to import the assets one by one and position in the world.
    In max you can position the asset where you want it and grab the pivot to origin. Then you can be very precise when importing all assets to max.
    But I would not recomend that.
    Hmm pivot workaround seems easy enough but what is the downsides of it?
  • schmigel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schmigel polycounter lvl 2
    Hmm pivot workaround seems easy enough but what is the downsides of it?
    Its harder to create transforms operations, since all is based in the pivot location. All your transformations will be relative to that pivot that is theeeereee in the origin.

BUT, if you have a controlled environment (in the case you know how everything will bahave, and you will not have anything that needs to change), then it can work. I guess its really the case when just creating a movie in unreal.