Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Question about optimal workflow for hardsurface mesh imported from external 3d software

hero character
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Macebo hero character
In my case i'm using 3ds max for creating the base mesh for detailing in Zbrush. I'm not using open subdivision, but the old (in my opinion better) supporting loops method.

I'm currently learning Zbrush, so i searched the internet for a good workflow in case i'm dealing with hard surface models created externally. Because the topology of my current high poly is not even, the detailing inside Zbrush bring bad results should i sculpt it right away. To overcome this issue, I effectively tried myself two methods:

The first one is to import the model to Zbrush > subdivide > dynamesh master > sculpt. I found this usefull when there is a need to clip parts of the model to create crevices/broken parts or to weld/boolean two objects, but not optimal for sculpting because of too much geo and no subdivision levels. That said, this is the easiest method, but results in a significant impact on RAM usage and file size (this resulted in a file with almost 500 Mb).

The second one is to import > subdive > duplicate > Zremesh > project and subdivide until i achieve the detail and crisp edges of the high poly > sculpt. This is the most demanding, but results in a better and even topology, and mantains subdivision levels (this is good for the program performance as well). 

The last method is the most satisfatory, but the most labour intense as well. I missed to much time doing this for each subtool. 

So i decided to ask to you guys: what is the method that better suit you when you are importing hard surface models to Zbrush? How do you proceed to the detailing process? Do dynamesh detailing produce better or worse results if compared to Zremeshed ones?

I'm eager to hear your experiences.

Replies

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    for me it really depends on the model sometimes i'll just dynamesh and polish the shit out the mesh. Other times I add extra support loops for keeping the shape I want. And for a lot of hardsurface stuff I just do everything in zbrush and maybe ffd it later in maya.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Sunray said:
    for me it really depends on the model sometimes i'll just dynamesh and polish the shit out the mesh. Other times I add extra support loops for keeping the shape I want. And for a lot of hardsurface stuff I just do everything in zbrush and maybe ffd it later in maya.
    That is what i thought... i guess that depends on the model and what is needed to be done. Thanks for your input :)
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    So i actually found a major benefit of using a multiple subdivision levels workflow instead of dynamesh, and that is performance. I realized that when you orbit around your model Zbrush enter a LOD mode, reducing the density of the mesh for preview to improve performance. Dynamesh does not have that benefit :smiley:
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    There are horses for courses. I modeled a rifle in 3dMax using pro boolean, imported that into ZBrush and dynameshed the parts. Then polished each piece as much as it needed. For the final model I just need to Goz a decimated copy of the ZBrush model to Max to use as a reference to retopo and uv that to generate texture maps. Couldnt have got that result without dynamesh.