Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2017 corrupting files non-stop

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
I can't stand 3ds Max 2017 anymore: it crashes randomly with the most stupid thing (using edge restriction to move a vertex, changing selection mode, deleting edge loops...), sometimes it closes without any notification, keeps alive the proccess 3dsmax.exe after having closed the program or explodes when using the relax UV tool inside peel mode... And now I can't continue using a file because after making some little changes to it 3ds Max crashes and corrupts it (it opens, but when I enter the edit poly modifier or move the camera Max crashes again).

I've tried installing the 2016 version, but when converting a previous save from 2017 to 2016 I get a messy mesh with holes inside 2016.

Could someone try to run this file inside 2017 and tell me if it crashes?
https://mega.nz/#!tcoCmJYa!PvTvAs60AtsgTIcSewi0RkIfpLUWzop_gts5raHEdy0

Has someone experimented this amount of trouble using Max 2017? Should I switch to a previous version?

I'm using Windows 10 btw

Replies

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, I can't really help solving your issue, just saying I also experience crashes very regularly with 2017 and it's very random. I've switched back to 2016 in disgust, for me it's really stable and that's all I need. The only think I miss about 2017 is that it can display so much more geometry without any FPS drops :(  I hope you figure it out.
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    I'll take a look at your file. Do you have any that were fine previously that still work?
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Mant1k0re said:
    Hey man, I can't really help solving your issue, just saying I also experience crashes very regularly with 2017 and it's very random. I've switched back to 2016 in disgust, for me it's really stable and that's all I need. The only think I miss about 2017 is that it can display so much more geometry without any FPS drops :(  I hope you figure it out.
    Thanks. I've been trying to repair the file in 2016 and for now it has crashed three times :D I hope it's just an exception.
    coven said:
    I'll take a look at your file. Do you have any that were fine previously that still work?
    Yup, there you go:
    https://mega.nz/#!EYZX0QiY!-yQ2PCMYfi6qgyxCmVi5URqUSXe9sT3B4ai2-jMU24U

I can edit this one, but when I change some things in the object I named "almacenlp" it crashes and becomes unusable for me.

Edit: The file I was editing using 2016 is corrupted now and I can't open it. Maybe it's the file's problem.
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    Could possibly be a currupt file. I'm trying to get a crash with your autoback file and I'm not able to reproduce. It would be good if we can find where or what caused the curruption.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Usually I'm just trying to simplify the parts I've marked in the image to make the low-poly. I try to make them planar or delete some quads, and then without any previous notice 3ds Max 2017 decides to crash when I make some small action like "undo", deleting an edge loop or changing the selection mode. It's just random.
    Then any savestate between the autoback and the moment of the crash becomes corrupted (like the one in my first post).

I'll try to reproduce it once more when I can.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    coven said:
    Could possibly be a currupt file. I'm trying to get a crash with your autoback file and I'm not able to reproduce. It would be good if we can find where or what caused the curruption.

Okay, I got the exact moment of the crash:

This is just after removing the details marked on the left of the first image of my previous post and simplifiying the elevations marked on the bottom of the second image. I was just about to grow the selection to flat these surfaces for the bake when 3ds Max crashed again.

I saved after removing the details marked on the left of the first image and the savestate works, so maybe the problem is something I've made after that.

• coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you! I'll try to repro and see if we can catch this.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I didn't crash for me, but it Max crashed when I just re-opened the file without saving. I'll report this on the beta channel to the devs. If you don't mind I'll attach your file to the bug.
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, I tried optimizing the mesh in the areas you have highlighted with the top edit poly modifier in your stack. I wasn't able to get it to crash, but I am running the update 1 release. Do you have the update 1 installed? I'm wondering if this is tied to a defect that is already fixed.

• Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    monster said:
    I didn't crash for me, but it Max crashed when I just re-opened the file without saving. I'll report this on the beta channel to the devs. If you don't mind I'll attach your file to the bug.
    No problem, go ahead.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    coven said:
    Ok, I tried optimizing the mesh in the areas you have highlighted with the top edit poly modifier in your stack. I wasn't able to get it to crash, but I am running the update 1 release. Do you have the update 1 installed? I'm wondering if this is tied to a defect that is already fixed.

I didn't know there were any updates for the 2017 version :s
    Maybe I have it installed. Where can I see if I have them?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    In the system tray login to the Autodesk Desktop App, it'll show program updates. Or you can download the latest update here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/3ds-max-201701-security-fix.html?v=2017
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    monster said:
    In the system tray login to the Autodesk Desktop App, it'll show program updates. Or you can download the latest update here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/3ds-max-201701-security-fix.html?v=2017

This is all I can see within the 3ds Max tab. I have installed both the 2016 and 2017 version.
    I'm installing the lastest patch manually. I'll try to reproduce the crash again after it finishes.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Meh, it keeps crashing and corrupting the file.
    This time when I was about to remove three edge loops and after simplifiying the two areas on the bottom marked with red in my second image.

I'm starting to think the file is corrupted even if the autoback doesn't crash instantly.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    Okay, I can't get closer than this:

First, I flatten the elevations inside the red rectangle by selecting the quad in the center and growing the selection until the lower and upper elevation are selected, then I delete them and cap the holes until the result is like the image.

Then (this is what I think has to be causing some problem) I select the quads of the image and grow the selection three times, delete that and start to make quads over the surface by cutting the vertices of the n-gons. The result should be the second image.

Finally, I save as a new file, close Max 2017 and open the file again. It crashes on startup.
    If I continue using that file without closing Max, it will end up crashing anyways, with the file corrupted.
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    Got it! I was able to reproduce. Thanks again for working with me. We will look into this.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    coven said:
    Got it! I was able to reproduce. Thanks again for working with me. We will look into this.
    No problem! Thanks to you too, I also got something out of this. I feel really stupid for not knowing about the updates until now and I will have to find a way to continue my work without breaking Max, but maybe some of my problems with the 2017 version disappear with that last patch.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Ha - that scene from the mega link crashes my Max 2017.1 right away. So i guess it contains some broken data records as my installation is completely stable otherwise...