Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Totally, I mean totally strip an Object Material.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
$. mat = null  Nope
UVW Remove  Nope

Anything exported with .dae (Collada) is getting a "ColorEffectRXXXBXXXXGXXXXXX  entry into the material ID in the editor of the game engine.  I need a way to strip this as well as its trying to render collision meshes.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    That's the fault of the exporter then. It must be using the wire color, which you can't kill.

Can you find a better dae exporter?

Is dae a text format? Maybe hand editing is the way to go, a Python script could be used to strip it out after export.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Attach to a box then delete the box? sometimes it'll fix every problem in max.
    Also did you check on the channel info dialog? probably you can clean it up from there too.
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    You just want to remove a material from an object?
    $.material = undefined
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Eric,
    Unfortunately to autodesk one does strange things to imported files, which leaves just the official Collada one from their working group.  I believe its a text file, maybe I can get the programmer to make such a script.  In any case it would be inefficient having to rerun that script everytime I made a change.

Revel, hmm haven't checked the channel info, I'll give it a shot, but I'm pretty sure that's a no go since some of these collisions started out as Max simple objects and had no data.

Coven,  the null bit does the same thing.  It doesn't work.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    $.material = undefined works for me. See line 4 and 5. So check a text editor. Your game engine might be creating it on it's own.

I don't know what "official Collada one from their working group" means. I only know of Khronos Group's OpenCollada, and the built in Autodesk plugin. The image below is the built in one.

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $.material = undefined gave the same results as before.  Still a phantom material.

Even stripping the ColorEffectRGB from the Collada file will still import a material, it would be named ColorMaterial in that instance.  Sooooo I got the below to work (lets hear it for Notepad++).

I did some playing around in the Collada file.  Its this in particular in the triangle line that's causing it. 

material="ColorMaterial"  

So like this line?  <triangles material="ColorMaterial" count="28">
    If I strip that out of the collision meshes, it ignores the coloreffect under material and doesn't render.

I'm getting my Collada conversion from the github latest repos:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jssp45b88jkcoql/AAC3w7Uzphp_8hbOOXlu7UcFa?dl=0

Bugging my programmer to make the importer just auto do this now on when it sees that line, to ignore that material call. :)

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    Do you really need a script for this_ You can also remove materials from the utility tab...  (Click on @more@ and then on @UVW remove@}

Sry, american stzle keyboard....
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yes he does, read the thread.