Home Career & Education

Portfolio Question?

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
My plan and progress:
I am working on a level design portfolio, and I want to have a playable level as my "main centerpiece," showcasing that I both understand and can create a playable level with good level design, quality animations, enemy AI / player character / level event scripting. (To show that I am a multifaceted, and capable hire) 

For my level, there are three enemy types:
  • ranged (bow)
  • peon (sword and shield)
  • skilled (sword and shield)

The combat mechanics play a large role, as the level is combat-centric, but animating is taking a long time, and I still have several more to work on: ( words marked like this mean they're already complete )

• idle 1
  • idle 2
  • walk 1
  • walk 2
  • run forward
  • heavy attack
  • light attack
  • draw bow - shoot arrow
  • block
  • parry
  • reaction - get hit
  • dodge left
  • dodge right
  • dodge back
  • sidestep left
  • sidestep right

My question:
I am concerned about presentation, so I want to show quality work to increase my chances of being hired, but for the sake of time, would it be better to have the playable level (my portfolio's centerpiece) with good/decent animations, or have non-animated basic shapes represent the player / enemies? ( cube, cone, pyramid, etc ) Would it better to have a more polished-playable-portfolio-centerpiece level, and just keep on working?

I feel that for such a combat-centric level, having non-animated basic shapes wouldn't read as easily, and in the end, would act as a negative.   

Characters as non-animated basic shapes:
Pros:
  • Time spent not animating
  • Enemy type readablity - enemy types as different shapes
Cons:
  • Combat readability - indecipherable enemy attacks and blocks - hard for player to react and plan accordingly
  • Game feel - feels very unfinished/placeholder, and potentially "rushed" 
  • Not fully showcasing my knowledge and capabilities - no animations
  • Unfinished player / enemy controller scripts in engine

Animated characters:
Pros:
  • Combat readability - animations show exactly what enemy is doing, and player can easily react and plan accordingly 
  • Game feel - feels polished, and player controls well
  • Enemy type readability - silhouettes of different body shapes: I can easily swap between character rigs while using the same animations 
  • Fully showcasing my knowledge and capabilities - quality animations
  • Finished player / enemy controller scripts in engine
Cons:
  • Time spent animating

Note: 
After competing this playable level, the other portfolio pieces that I would work on and showcase next would just be several level design sketches ( detailing enemy / weapon placements, obstacles, puzzles, etc ) with descriptions / summaries showcasing my logic behind the decisions made for those pieces. Basically, my portfolio would have one large project, and several smaller pieces that I could complete quickly, as they require no software and much less time to finish. Also, the playable level would include level design sketches and summaries as well. Thank you.

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    You say you're building a level design portfolio, and then you immediately start talking about system design and animation. If your goal is to build a level design portfolio, spend your time designing levels, not trying to single-highhandedly build a game from scratch. Choose a game with a good level editor and go for it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Why not just use Unreal Engine, and use the default dude to move around the map ??
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Take a step back and think what you want to do

Most good leveldesigners come from mapping for games. 
    You can do multiplayer maps for CSGO or UT4, top down concepts, quick sketchup blockouts with your thoughts about your design, 
    singleplayer blockouts with focus on leading the player and analyze other maps and write down your thoughts on areas of the map

What you are describing is like making half a game, thats not what you need for leveldesign.
    You dont need animations or visuals, leveldesign is about design and that needs to come through. Lighting can/should be a part however, even if the maps are just gray blocks. Making a map for a working game like UT4/CS is a lot more useful and impressive if it has actually been played and tested by people and you can make iterations and learn a lot from it. Thats the way to go. Being able to script light events is a bonus but thats less about design and more about execution, writing "player presses button here > Door opens" is enough. 

What I want to see on a leveldesign portfolio is nicely described and tested blockouts where every area fills a clear purpose, overhead maps, paths and if you are really cool then heatmaps of playtests, show that you thought of everything (times from A > B, powerup locations, height and vision advantages, enemy locations etc etc).