Home Career & Education

Do game companies cover inteview costs?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
When you pass phone/skype interview and they are interested in your work and they invite you to their studio for an interview do you have to pay for trip costs by yourself or? I am talking about larger studios/AAA.

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    I think you have to pay yourself. They might help with relocation costs for you to move closer if you need to but as far as covering interview costs, I really don't think so.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    in my experience it depends on how far you have to travel. domestic companies might try to get away with splitting or making you foot the whole bill. if it's international or far enough away that you'll have to stay overnight then they'll normally arrange it all themselves. some will arrange for a longer trip so you and potentially your SO can check out the new environment.
    same with moving costs.

make sure you can pay your way yourself wherever you're headed though - i had one case where they managed to book the hotel for the wrong day. another time i missed the return flight because the interview ran over and had to secure myself a replacement flight with another airline quickly.
    in both cases i got reimbursed but would have been rather screwed without my own card.

• Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    We always cover hotels, flights and take the interviewee for lunch... as far as I know that's pretty standard it you're travelling any real distance.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty much what thomasp said. It can also depend on the position your interviewing for, my colleague and I had interviews at the same place, I was applying for the higher position and was treated to all expenses paid and a nice hotel, where as he paid for half the trip and was booked a B&B.
    Either way keep dem receipts! 
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Most game devs cover it. Although Skype calls have replaced traditional interviews at a lot of places.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the rough distance? How many hours of travel would it usually take for a game company to decide to foot the bill?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    AGoodFella said:
    What's the rough distance? How many hours of travel would it usually take for a game company to decide to foot the bill?

Not completely sure this is distance related? Can you share what the context is?
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella said:

Not completely sure this is distance related? Can you share what the context is?
    So if you live 3 hours away from the studio, would they say ok, we will cover the transportation cost and if you live 30 mins away, they won't be as inclined to. Do they decide based on how long it will take you to get to the studio.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    If you need to fly there, most will pay for flights, hotels, cabs, etc. I havent heard of any company that says you need to fly here so we can meet you in person first, but then not pay for that flight. You might have to front some of the costs (like cabs) at first, but then they`ll reimburse you.  

I think if you`re within commuting range, you shouldn't expect them to pay for anything. Remember, some people will travel 2-3 hours each way to get to work. 

The relocation costs are a bit more tricky. Not all companies will help you with the move, even if you`re on the other side of the world. I would think most AAA will help you out at least a bit, but ya. Definitely something worth asking before you accept any offer. 
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you for information.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    slipsius said:

The relocation costs are a bit more tricky. Not all companies will help you with the move, even if you`re on the other side of the world. I would think most AAA will help you out at least a bit, but ya. Definitely something worth asking before you accept any offer. 
    that should actually be part of your post-interview negotations. any company with an international workforce and some experience with the process should really be offering *something*. some relo packages are easily worth 5 digits, extendend to your family and may include a shipping container for your household going halfway 'round the world and assistance with the whole immigration process.
    it's not just twentysomething singles getting hired and all.

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    AAA should generally reimburse or book for you (always collect the receipts!). However, skype interviews and art tests are getting more common. Smaller studios may ask you to pay by yourself if you're from outta town. If you want to take the risk depends how much you need a job.

Relocation depends on studio and your seniority level. I remember the first packages I got were up to 2000 EUR which covered a bit more than 2 cubic meters of intercontinental freight. For top talent studios usually spend more though.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every interview I have ever been on has been taken care of by the studio.  Flights, Hotel, Lunch etc.  
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Any studio worth their salt will cover flight and accommodations for an interview. Relocation costs should be discussed at the in-person interview and most will cover, at least, a portion of that.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    chances are, they will pay for something outside of what is considered "a reasonable commute distance". essentially, if it's a distance you would normally be comfortable commuting in daily, they won't pay. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    chances are, they will pay for something outside of what is considered "a reasonable commute distance". essentially, if it's a distance you would normally be comfortable commuting in daily, they won't pay. 
    This for us as well. If you are in Berlin we assume you have a ticket for public transportation, if we go eat, its on us. If you come from anywhere else, by now, we pay for the expenses. I mean, we invite you, why would you pay for it?
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I've had plenty of interviews and only once I had to make a visit to the studio after a few Skype interviews which was a flight journey which I had to pay for initially but was reimbursed every penny straight away give or take. But I agree with what a lot are saying if it's a reasonable daily route bus or train maybe they won't pay but maybe they'll treat you with lunch. 
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I think if they do a personal interview that you probably will get the Job.  The whole interview process has lost it's personal touch, with the Internet.  
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I think if they do a personal interview that you probably will get the Job.
    that is totally not guaranteed, it is likely that from the arttest and the phone/skype interview they can see you working with them. But it can totally go nowhere from the inhouse interview on.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I think if they do a personal interview that you probably will get the Job.  
    As someone who interviews people I can tell you that this is not the case. Even if you're the sole applicant and manage to shoot yourself in the foot during the interview, we'll rather wait for the next guy to come along, and hope he's better.

Having said that, getting to the interview stage is still a good thing, because it confirms that you have at least something that is of interest to an employer. Much better than sending resumes where you never hear back from the recipients.
  • kitbashedartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I've seen, if the job would take you longer than 1-2 hours to get to by car then the employer will usually foot the bill to get you there. The "how" of it is where companies tend to differ. Some might pay for your hotel and flight outfight. Others might ask you to lay out the money yourself and then cut you a reimbursement check once you're there. Both practices seem to be pretty common, especially the higher up on the "food chain" you'll end up being.