Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] 40k Cathedral

Gadorian
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
Sup guys, I'm working on a new portfolio piece, this time I'd like to share my progress with you, hoping you'll lend me your knowledge when I get stuck and keep me from procrastinating to much. If you have any critique to share, please do.

So, the theme is Warhammer 40k universe, Cathedral. 

I started with the keyword cathedral, did some research, found the one that I liked the most - Cathedral of Chartres

I did a blockout of it using it's real world measurements, even found the blueprints. Upon importing it in UE4, my first impression was it was too small, so I doubled the scale.

The plan was to use Chartres as a base and just add a bunch of skulls, aquilas, and space marines, and it would look 40k'ish - it didn't work. The column shapes were still too round, adding details wouldn't change that fact.
Warhammer has it's very distinct style, and as I took liberties in adding different shape languages, I strayed away from the original style, that wasn't my intention though, so I went back and studied the reference.
I found that the round shapes don't really exist in 40k architecture. It's all layers of tall thin squares, columns, lots of vertical lines, very sharp pointed arches, huge ass bolts, and skulls of course.

For my color palette i chose this beautiful concept art 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o9goW

It really shows how dark and cold the Imperium of man is. I did try a few day versions before settling on this one, but they were too warm and hopeful, this needs to be almost mournful, yet grand. 

This is my progress so far. 

the central statue of the Emperor is going to be the only warm thing in the scene, representing him as a beacon of hope

still have to decide what to do with the back walls, the windows will have stained glass

Confessor's podium is going to be in a shape of Aquila

I'll be posting my progress regularly. If you guys have anything to add, please do, I'm open to new ideas.