Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Norse Raven Painted Shield

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Shelbiathan vertex
A Viking/Norse style shield I've been working on, designed for Unreal Engine 4.

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Hi there!

This is a really nice start -- looks like clean modeling and a solid grasp of texturing. If you're open to receiving a bit of constructive criticism, I think there are a few things you could do to push this to the next level:

- Think about how the strips of leather are attached to the wood back -- are they affixed with rivets, similarly to the front? Adding in those sort of small construction details will really help sell your prop.
    - The front of the shield is a cool idea, but I think it could use a little tightening up. There is a ton of overall noise and wear, and it would be nice to focus that to smaller areas and leave areas of rest for the eye to relax a bit. That will also help put the focus more on the raven.
    - For the raven painting, is there a reason why it tiles like that? I think it would be more impactful to have it centered or have two symmetrical ravens. The way you've done the drop shadow behind it is a bit strange too. It'd be awesome if it felt more like paint/brushstrokes and you really emphasized the contrast in that material vs the rest of the shield. Think about references like  this and this

Looking nice so far -- keep it up!