Home Marmoset

Marmoset 3 Curvature Issue (?)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rodimus polycounter lvl 7
Great work on Marmoset 3, really enjoying the improvements and new features so far. Just one question in regards to the curvature baker. I noticed some issues on my model so I made this quick test to see if my suspicion was true. As you can see in the image, I don't seem to get curvature along edges that have split UVs. Is this being worked on?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rodimus: can you get me a copy of this scene so we can debug it? Thanks
  • Rodimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sent a PM just now. Thank you for having a look.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rodimus said:
    I sent a PM just now. Thank you for having a look.
    Thanks, I just checked it out.

The issue seems to be that you're using the same (low poly) mesh for both the high and low slots, so there isn't any curvature differences to pick up. With how the system is designed, the right example (the one with multiple uv islands) is the expected result. It's surprising to see left result, and I'll talk to our engineers more about this.

For now, make sure you're using a high poly source mesh, we bake the curvature data from the high poly geometry, so the system needs more information to get an accurate curvature bake. Baking curvature maps from the lowpoly alone isn't something we support at this time.
  • Rodimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on. I was hoping that the left result was the expected one, haha. Hopefully you can suppport this in the future though!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I was about to make a thread on curvature, but I will append my question in this thread, if you dont mind, Rodimus :)

@EarthQuake,  With curvature baking, is it possible to have a slider control the "distance" like in Xnormal? This is a crucial thing I was missing in substance, I couldn't get those softer curve maps.
    Is that difficult to implement?

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon said:
    I was about to make a thread on curvature, but I will append my question in this thread, if you dont mind, Rodimus :)

@EarthQuake,  With curvature baking, is it possible to have a slider control the "distance" like in Xnormal? This is a crucial thing I was missing in substance, I couldn't get those softer curve maps.
    Is that difficult to implement?

Hey, I'll add this to our suggestion list. You basically want a slider to set how smooth or sharp the curvature map is, right?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake said:
    Hey, I'll add this to our suggestion list. You basically want a slider to set how smooth or sharp the curvature map is, right?
    Yes, exactly. 
    Otherwise I might get those maps which are mostly grey, but then have one super sharp line either black or white. 
    It would be great to have the possibility to have more "falloff/gradient", so they can be used more loosely, or for gradient maps.
    In XNormal, I can type in a distance, which controls this, and thats something I was really lacking in Substance Painter.
    I was also lacking Height, but you got that one covered :)
    The curvature distance is truly the only thing left in M3 to be the Perfect baker for me :)

• Rodimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice addition, @Spoon. I was thinking about suggesting that too. In the test scene in the first post I rescaled the UV shells to control the curvature size  :#