Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Multiple Inputs on a Tile Generator?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
Hi!

I'm currently working on a white tiles texture, and trying to do a cement texture below that, to show whenever a tile is removed by a mask.

I'm trying to make some "left-over plaster shapes" below each of the tiles, but also trying to randomize the shapes so not every tile has the same 'left-over' below.

I achieved something that kinda works, but looks like a mess. There has to be a better answer!.

To the left, 4 different shapes tiled with a Tile Generator. 2 of them Blended together using a Tile Generator_1 with a random Mask(Red), and the other 2 blended together using TileGenerator_2 with another random mask(Blue).

Then both Red + Blue are blended together using ANOTHER TileGenerator_Mask to achieve the final result, which looks like this.

Now, this is plenty of tile generators and masks, and gets really messy to work with. Anyone has any idea on how to do this?

This is the current state of the material.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    you could spend ages building it all up in an FX map - I did something similar for pebbles a while back but it was a bit of a pain.

personally I'd  break it down into nice reusable chunks,

for example. the red and blue bits (along with the tile generators they use as inputs) look like they do basically the same thing - they might as well be the same node with a few exposed parameters
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, both red and blue parts do exactly the same. They just blend 2 different shapes together (Red = A+B), (Blue = C+D). And (Green = Red + Blue) with different random masks here and there to give it the random feel.
     I can't really use the same node as I'm using different shapes as Inputs (A,B,C and D are all different squared shapes with cuts and breaks), not just different parameters.

Looks like we'll have to wait for a SD update and hope they include multiple inputs on a Tile Generator!! :disappointed:
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    You can feed up to 6 input shapes into a tile sampler node. Further more you can use a mask input for a tile sampler to fill in gaps.
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You, sir, just made MY DAY. Didn't see the Pattern Input Number parameter, DAAAAMN, this is a happy night!