Home Technical Talk

How to retopologize chainmail?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
KingTomislav polycounter lvl 5
Any ideas how to retopologize chainmail? For example i make chainmail in ZBrush with nanomesh. Now i want to have game ready model, so usually i would go to topogun and draged the polygons on top of my high poly mesh. But in this case chainmail would have holes. So it would be hard to drag polygons on top of it manually. Is there a better workflow?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Whenever humanly possible I would try to add chainmail in 2D from a pattern in your texturing tool (ie: Quixel, Substance) rather than bake it directly from your highpoly. You'll get the most control over the normals/read/scale of your chainmail this way.

You can bake a tiling chainmail texture flat to get the pattern to use in substance/quixel if you need to.
  • KingTomislav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingTomislav polycounter lvl 5
    Whenever humanly possible I would try to add chainmail in 2D from a pattern in your texturing tool (ie: Quixel, Substance) rather than bake it directly from your highpoly. You'll get the most control over the normals/read/scale of your chainmail this way.

You can bake a tiling chainmail texture flat to get the pattern to use in substance/quixel if you need to.

Great idea, tnx.