Home Career & Education

How can I conduct myself better in job interviews against all odds?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Hello PC, there's something I want to improve on (or rather surpass).

I've applied to a lot of jobs, both 3D and outside of it, and when I show up at these interviews, I've been met with these roadblocks I can't find an answer for.

1. Location.
Probably the thing that killed all the recent interviews I've been.  I've wanted to move for the longest time, and had my sights on Montreal and Vancouver. But now I'm only left with Toronto as far as what I can do with my income.

But when I'm lucky enough to get a job interview in Toronto, my employers look puzzled when I tell them I'm not from this city. It really sucks because that right there eliminates me from the job pool despite anything else I manage to bring up during an interview.

2. Experience
It's not that I don't have experience, but I can't make my experience go longer. All these job ads I find lately make it a point to stick out "we want ONLY the most experienced/qualified candidates only". So my 1 year of working in retail is instantly thrown out because someone might have worked 1.5 years. Even though the skills are roughly the same, I'm competing in a market where no one wants to give up their job, because they're holding them down longer. This brings me to a final point.

3. Future
At least when it comes to looking for entry level work, no one really wants to work these jobs forever. But given the job market now is so dangerous that any unemployment is almost asking for a death sentence, what do I tell these employers? "Oh yeah, there was this 3D thing I'm doing, I went to school for it and started doing more 3D work at home, would it be ok I leave when the job pops up?" Are they going to be more willing to give me a job or less knowing that I have an education? I mentioned last year that explaining this only lead to employers thinking I'm "overqualified".

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    1. Moving for work in games is very common, as shitty as it is, especially if you need the experience.  Moving to a hub city so that options are open, and if you have the money/flexibility to do so, is not a terrible idea.  However, being from out of town, should not eliminate you from a position immediately.  If your portfolio is really solid, and you show promise for the studio, most of the time they will help relocate.  I was hired as an associate, and was given relocation assistance, it is not reserved for senior or mid level developers.

2. Honestly, portfolio is your greatest tool to getting the job, resume is how you negotiate title and pay once you land the job IMO.  No matter how sparse or nonexistent your resume is, even if you are still in school or didn't even go to school (I got my first AAA job 2 weeks after graduating high school), if your portfolio is solid and fits the job responsibilities... you will not have an issue landing something at an associate level.  No matter what the job description says. 

3.  If you are applying for a temp job to pay the bills between games work, I wouldn't even bother telling them that you are planning on leaving.  You can't 100% predict how the future is going to play out, just focus on the current interview for whatever job you are applying for.  In that moment, it should have your entire attention.  Don't even bother attending an interview if you aren't going to give it your all.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    1 - How do you know that this is what killed the interview for you? The only time they may see it as an insta no (and I've had to do this in the past) is that if it is an entry level position and the applicant is from out of country, I simply can not hire them as an entry level position is not great grounds for a visa. Is it because they thought you expected relocation assistance as part of getting hired? Without more context it is difficult to comment on this further. If you think you will require relocation assistance, you can always inquire with their HR department before the interview to find out if this position offers that.

2 - Again, you are making an assumption. How do you know your application was thrown out because you only have one year as opposed to a year and a half of experience? Granted, if an applicant with say 5 years of experience, applied, yes, they may favor them because the difference there is far more substantial then six months. 
    As Add3r correctly points out, your portfolio speaks more then your retail experience ever will when it comes to getting a job in 3D. 

3-  "would it be ok I leave when the job pops up?" As a hiring manager, I would instantly mentally file you as a flight risk and likely not hire you if there are other options available. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but unless I'm looking for fill a 3 month contract, an employee is someone I am investing my budget in, and someone who sounds like they will drop me on a moments notice isn't worth it for me. 
    However, you can say "Long term I am looking to expand into doing 3D work, in X years, I want to be doing Y." Why is this different? Honestly, you are saying the same  thing, but  not saying "I will drop you like a hot potato as soon as some studio comes knocking on my door" ;) You also show that you have ambitions, goals and are upfront with what you want. It's a small difference, but it will impact how your hiring manager looks at you. 
    Be prepared to answer the usual follow up questions "If you are so interesting in doing 3D, why are you applying here" and "What will happen if 3D studio offers you a job 2 months from now."

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    If for 3d jobs :

1 - if you are on the same country and show willingness to relocate i doubt that is a showstopper unless you arent clear about it.

2 - Portfolio , Portfolio , Portfolio. If it isnt up to par you wont get hired. period. Submit your current one to review here and work on it.

3 - dont give the impression that you are finding your starter work as something you see as temporary, if you dont evolve your skill you might not "go up" . But again, this all comes down to portfolio.

For outside 3d work :

what everyone else said.

Good luck and work on your folio man, thats the thing that is 80% most important !
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    To be completely blunt, you don't have a video game portfolio. There's no low-poly, no bakes, no textures. Not sure if any of this is rendered in a game engine.

You also don't have anything that stands out. It's well made but immediately forgettable.
    There's nothing impressive in your portfolio, even though judging from your skills, you probably **could**.

A Canada Post Office box is not going to impress anyone. This might be impressive if you made the entire street scene, and it was one of several hundred props you made.
    A Radial Engine is impressive:

A Mechanical Welding Arm is impressive:

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1.  If you want to work in Toronto, then move to Toronto.
    2.  Retail?  You want to work at Old Navy? 
    3.  Nobody cares about your education.  Employers care that you have the skills and aren't a pain in the ass. 

• radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Jacque nailed it. Your portfolio is still in need of work to be considered entry level ready. 
    The presentation could use a facelift, its not well designed from a usability and aesthetic point of view. 
    The way you display your assets could also use some refinement, no texture maps, no wireframes, no context. etc. What are those spheres above each image? I think you are probably 4-5 solid portfolio pieces away from what I personally would consider ready to start applying. 

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm a little bit confused by your fast-spinning demo reel. You're not an animator or particle artist, so there's really no need for a demo reel. (In fact, I consider it a turn-off).

Also a bit confused about whether you're asking about retail jobs or game-art jobs. No one is going to relocate you for retail, I don't imagine. And with your current portfolio, I imagine you'll have difficulty getting relocated for a game art job, as well.

p.s. The chairs in your cartoon kitchen have no leg-space. They're too big for the table.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    RyanB said:
    1.  If you want to work in Toronto, then move to Toronto.

The problem is I have no job. So if I move, 3/4 of my savings would be gone and I wouldn't be able to afford the next months.

That's where my dilemma comes in. I didn't want to gamble on moving without having a job to cover it, but I can't get to the jobs because I'm located outside of it.

Trying to get retail/dishwasher work in the city is what I considered the safest choice. 
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    JordanN said:

That's where my dilemma comes in. I didn't want to gamble on moving without having a job to cover it, but I can't get to the jobs because I'm located outside of it.
    Nooope. I think you're missing what @JacqueChoi and @dustinbrown wrote
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It wouldn't be a gamble, if the only possible result is 'nope, not gonna get the job'. Just need better portfolio pieces. 
    You can stay where you currently live and work on improving the arts, if you have a paying job. If not, holiday season is right around the corner. Retails are hiring.
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I think the simplest way to put it would be to just stay where you are and work on your art. Let your art talk. Don't go chasing into a city unless you have a job lined up. Most studios won't care if your not in their exact city, if your good enough they will relocate you.  
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah most companies won't care much about where you are located but expect you to be able to relocate, most bigger companies will help you out though if they want you.

if you are in the same country no problem at all, and usually being in a different country doesn't matter as well if your portfolio is good. except for personal visa problems.

So like everyone else says, work on your portfolio and things will become a lot easier.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    As someone who actually has a say in the hiring of our 3-D artists I'll throw in my two cents. You'll always be overlooked if your not willing to risk almost everything to follow your passions and peruse this career. Almost all the professional artists I know that have made it their career have a personal passion for their craft as well they have all made a personal sacrifice to get where they are. There is some great advice here, JacqueChoi nailed it. Even entry level prop artists need to show some chops and variety (which your lacking atm). When you look at your portfolio you need to understand your competition, and bring something to the table that stands out. Making that transition is hard, but if any 3-D job comes along and you want to work in this industry bad enough....you'll drop whatever it is your doing and go for it. That experience you gain from that paid 3-D job is going to build that bridge to the next one, that's how you start to build a career in this industry. Patience, persistence, constant work ethic and discipline to expand your skill-set, and a willingness to sacrifice your time/relationships/personal freedoms to put energy towards your goal. It's like that with anything in life, your going to have to make that decision, it's either something your willing to do or it's not......but the ones that do it..make those sacrifices....there the ones working in the jobs you want.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    So now it's been 5 weeks since I've applied for jobs all over Toronto and there's still nothing.  Any tips on what I could do?

I thought about working for free but the recent interviews I went up to actually made that a requirement (you have to do work for them and sign a waiver that covers it). 

I'm honestly still feeling the wounds of retail, and dread doing any general labor work. 
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    beefaroni said:
    JordanN said:

Nooope. I think you're missing what @JacqueChoi and @dustinbrown wrote
    Hmm..
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN said:
    So now it's been 5 weeks since I've applied for jobs all over Toronto and there's still nothing.  Any tips on what I could do?
    What did you make in the five weeks you had free?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Joopson said:
    And with your current portfolio, I imagine you'll have difficulty getting relocated for a game art job, as well.
    Hmm....
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    RyanB said:
    JordanN said:
    What did you make in the five weeks you had free?
    Pretty much drawing and working on more 3D cartoon ideas. But that's something I've always done with or without a portfolio.

The stuff JacqueChoi told me to is what I'm doing now. But I don't like rushing so it's something I want to work on when I find a full time job.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I wonder - at how many of these companies you applied to are "drawing" and "3D cartoon ideas" a requirement? My guess would be [spoiler]zero[/spoiler]
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    But I don't like rushing so it's something I want to work on when I find a full time job.

The point @JacqueChoi was making is that you'd need pieces of work like that currently on your portfolio to attract a job. Not necessarily those specific items, but just projects to that quality. If you mean a fulltime job outside of the industry: you wont have time. If you mean in the industry: you wont be getting a job IN the industry WITHOUT pieces to that quality.

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN said:

But I don't like rushing...
    Yeah, no shit.  We've noticed.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    @JordanN

This is starting to become a pattern with some of your threads. Ignoring feedback, coming back and saying nothing has changed. You have some serious work to do on your portfolio BEFORE any studio is going to take your application seriously. I know that's tough to hear but you've got work to do. It'll be tough but rewarding. 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    So without sounding brash, can I get clarification on this?

If I make the 4 props that are up to the same standard as the engine/welding arm, I'm guaranteed a job in the industry?

I'm not saying this to be rude but it's to remedy an anxiety of mine. Because I have a fear of losing everything, I wanted to start somewhere safe and then change when a successful path is revealed to me. 

In a way, I'm a person who hears something is 100% certain, I try to be 500% certain instead.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yup  i am 100% saying that.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Ok then! I know what I'm going to be doing this December.  :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    To be honest, I'm drooling over that mechanical arm at the moment... And I'm no way a mechanical artist... I like making characters...
    Man, but the challenge it would provided... Just the thought of it. 
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So, if you want a basis of comparison, this is the portfolio of another a jr env artist who is still looking to find his way in the industry.  His folio is quite impressive in my opinion and yet he still hasn't nailed down a job.  Granted he is probably going for AAA which isn't easy to break into but I think is fair given his abilities.  Compare your work to his and ask yourself if your quality bar is close to his.  If not, get to work.  Also, don't think you have to make 4 props in a month...if you want them to be high quality, start with one and do an amazing job on it.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/coreyhill