Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

some non digital 3d - costume prop making

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
hey folks, here the last month or so i've dug into new territory,  making  foam props and costume pieces for our local comedy wrestling show PWR ( pwr.website )  and i think next up i'm going to be remaking one of the sci fi helmets that i made for planetside 2, (tho may switch gears and try something like a weapon from something.) heres some pics

helmet and shoulder pads  all made out of foam, mostly EVA floormats, besides the skull which was a plastic Halloween skull grabbed at a local costume shop. that I cut up and mounted. 

second is an in progress shot of a prisoner helmet  that will be grouped with chains and shackles 
this has not been painted yet, just bare foam.

it's a new hobby but so far I'm having a lot of fun, and pretty pleased with the results.

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

started my paintjob on cage helm

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looking great, loving the details. Post some progress shots on how you adjust the foam to build the shapes.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure @snake85027
    heres the finished cage helm

heres some wip shots 

the shoulder design was completely changed after this pic, for a more "warcraft over the top feel" this was working on getting the helm shape correct.

here i started on the horns and details,  horns are thin foam from jo anss fabric,  the main helm is floormat foam from lowes.

heres my first attempt at mounting the horns it was tough gluing the thing foam straight on, so i thought maybe if i flared it out it would work, but i did not like the look

here i changed up the mounting decided to go with a metal mounting ring, also in here i starting fitting on the plastic haloween skull.

to add texture to the horns i used spray glue and wrapped thin foam in a spiral around the horns,, this took a long time and the spray glue got everywhere cause i had to coat the horns, and both sides of the wrap.

to add more texture i took a dremel with a sanding wheel and gouged out cracks in the wrap.

took the same sanding wheel and gouged out some big damage gashes in various placed on the helm, also used a wood burner to draw in details (mostly on back but you can see some in the grey next to the skull

no idea why these pics are showing up rotated in random ways, on my phone and dropbox they are all right side up..  but anyways, couple coats of plasti dip to seal it.  i kinda like this all black loook but everything cant always be all black.
    base layers of color, and some furniture tacks stuck in the horn mounts as rivets. 
    some dirt washes and dry brushing for depth and detailing and its done,
    if there's any interest I'll show what progress shots i have for the other pieces.