Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Portfolio Check-In

Meloncov
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Meloncov greentooth
So I'm about to start seriously looking for a game dev job after working at a product visualization/marketing place for a year. My portfolio probably has too much stuff in it right now: I'd appreciate feedback on what to drop.

http://kevinbakercg.com/

Thank you!

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    The work in your portfolio is kind of all over the place right now (photogrammetry test, pre-rendered work, UE4, etc) and not very well suited for applying for a game artist position.

If you are looking for a game job you'll want to tailor your portfolio more toward the type of things an employer will be looking for.  I think the UE4 bakery scene comes closest to this at the moment, but you will definitely want to show more of the process that led to the final scene.  I would make a few really nice game assets and show process breakdowns for them.  Employers will want to see low poly models, high poly models, texture flats, wireframes, etc.  You need to demonstrate that you understand the pipeline for video game asset creation and that you know how to properly execute all the required steps (Modeling/optimization, baking, UV layout, texturing , etc).
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I would get rid of or re-render the photogrammetry forest. As-is, the tree texture looks a little blurry, and your presentation could be improved in all of the renders you show. I'd get rid of the gradient background and the fuzzy brush compositing and do something a bit more streamlined. Also, you should render out assets without the grid visible (maybe in Keyshot or Toolbag?)!

Your website is also inconsistent with how you navigate posts. In the Bakery post, clicking on an image leads to a direct link of a larger version of the image (et https://kevinbakercg.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/final1.png), but doing the same thing in the second collection in the Frest post opens a modal with the images in it and you can scroll to different images, and you can't click on the image in the Night in the Library scene at all. This seems like a little thing, but employers will want to navigate your site quickly and easily.

The sword looks good, but when I clicked through to view more there were no images on the page. Get some up there (and again, ideally render in a game engine or rendered like Keyshot, Toolbag, UE4, etc)!