Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci - Fi Armored Vehicle

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
pongstah polycounter lvl 12
My pursuit of hard surface modeling practice. All comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/f3ISFAt0Qdo

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    hey I like the tires but it will be hard to bake these. Are you going to do high to low-poly for game?

Keep up with the blockout and get the silhouette exactly how you want it. After that you separate into panels / parts and go crazy with details. This is where the fun begins. :wink:
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah it looks like the tires are going to be a bit tricky to optimize since I needs to make it fairly hipoly to keep the silhouette intact. I'll probably need to do some extreme cage and uv manuevering to get clean bakes for these. Not sure how to go about doing it yet. I'll show my progress on it to hopefully gather more feedback.

Thanks for the tips. It looks like it will be a daunting task to detail this
    but i'm all set for it, I hope.
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    If the rest of the vehicle is going to be as detailed as the wheels, this thing will be slick! Looking forward to seeing more :) I think with some creative low poly work you'll be able to maintain a good silhouette of the tires without bloating them.
  • Justin Wagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Wagner polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking good! I can't wait to see panel details on the body.  The overall shape of the body looks good but the fender above all of the tires is reading kind of unplanned. Try to have more intentional bends and also keep in mind the aerodynamics of the vehicle or perhaps it was engineered for stealth/ deflecting incoming fire? If so you can reference the panel design on a F-117 or RAH-66. 

Keep up the good work!

Image result for stealth fighterImage result for stealth helicopter
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r said:
    If the rest of the vehicle is going to be as detailed as the wheels, this thing will be slick! Looking forward to seeing more :) I think with some creative low poly work you'll be able to maintain a good silhouette of the tires without bloating them.

Thanks, I'll try to keep the styling consistent all through out the vehicle. Not really sure if I shoud make a separate poly for eachs individual tread or make everything into a single mesh and just add polys to the edges of the tire where I might encounter problems, in order to avoid having them bloated as you have mentioned. Guess I'll have to do some test bakes first to see what happens.
    This is looking good! I can't wait to see panel details on the body.  The overall shape of the body looks good but the fender above all of the tires is reading kind of unplanned. Try to have more intentional bends and also keep in mind the aerodynamics of the vehicle or perhaps it was engineered for stealth/ deflecting incoming fire? If so you can reference the panel design on a F-117 or RAH-66. 

Keep up the good work!

Image result for stealth fighterImage result for stealth helicopter
    Yes here I tried to make the shapes flow more naturally almost organic but stealthy like in the reference pics. I read somehwere how stealth ships use changes to it's surface planes to break up it's silhouette or distract the radar. I'm not sure but I try to incorporate this into the design.

Feel free to paintover suggestions. :)

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharing my orthos to get more c&c's.

Slowly building up the forms. Later I'll clean the loops. Paintover of ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added heavy duty bumpers. Getting harder to see what I need to fix since i'm no automotive expert but it still worth a try.

my inspiration for the overall design is autobot Iron hide.

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    those are some sexy tires
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The tires are the easy part. Detailing the rest of the vehicle is very difficult. Also undecided if I want to keep the urban camo or switch to a matte black color scheme.

Here's a test render. Tell me what you think.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And an updated turntable animation.

https://youtu.be/KH_LpuseKeg