polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
chrisradsby polycounter lvl 7

LATEST PROGRESS:

------------------------------

------------------------------

INTRODUCTION:
Kay so I've wanted to do something with 70's sci fi and something different when it comes to the color-palette. Something more vivid so this thread is basically just me exploring shapes, colors, vistas in UE4. The main reason for me doing this I guess is that I do realistic art on a daily basis and during my spare time I like to explore other things just so I'll be more rounded as an artist.

I've already gotten started, but I dug up some older work-in-progress shots that I thought I'd post here for you guys as well. So it started simple, just colors and big shapes.

I've already gotten started, but I dug up some older work-in-progress shots that I thought I'd post here for you guys as well. So it started simple, just colors and big shapes.

Main inspirations from Chris Foss and John Harris

- After that I basically just wanted determine some kind of foreground. I know I want to have something like this in the scene. Whether the foreground is something man-made or something natural I haven't quite decided yet. 

- This is where I'm at currently. I've gone into world-machine and created some landscape vista that I like, it's made the ground and the cliffy bits. I dug up some old spruce/pine trees that I had lying around that was low-poly enough to actually use for vista.

There are lots of things left to do but I'm quite happy that I've established some kind of vista. Now it'll allow me to work more on what's happening in the middle-ground/foreground and I'll still know that I have some kind of kickass vista going on for whatever angle I decide to use later on.

These are the current things I have in my head.
  • Spaceships Vista (flying around either close to the towers or further away)
  • Improve Skybox 
    - More detailed moon (DONE!)
    - Starfalls! (DONE!)
    - Need to blend moon horizon better!
  • Spaceship (foreground, detailed for close up shots, best case scenario something that evokes some emotion) (DONE)
    Just started a foreground space-ship. (DONE)
  • Middle-ground Detail (Improve overall vista look, plenty that could be done here) (WIP)
  • Foreground Detail Decide whether to go natural or man-made and make it more detailed) (WIP)
  • Shader Work (I'm going to make a new 3-way blend shader that'll be the master blend for future projects.) (DONE)
  • Texture work  (I've barely done any texture work for this. I'm going to need more detailed ground textures for the foreground so at least 3 ground textures and some vista noise-textures.)
  • Overall Lighting (Lighting, not sure what to do yet, right now I'm basically just testing stuff out.) (WIP)
  • Improve sense of scale (I need to spend more time messing around with foreground objects and background objects. Space ships moving from foreground into the background might actually help quite a lot here)

Hmm, that seems to be what I have in my mind so far. I'll slowly start getting to these points when I can. But what you can expect to see here in this thread though are just my general thoughts about how to go about this. I'd love some feedback if you have any :)

Replies