Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Runic Games Hob Fan Art + Free Character Download

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I posted something here. I wanted to share a model I've been working on. I really fell in love with hand painted characters (really hand painted anything) and its what I've been doing the most. I created a monster and his weapon from Hob, the upcoming game from Runic Games to practice hand painted. I found this character in one of the trailers and really caught my eye so I decided to recreate it.

I went ahead a rigged him to pose him and I decided that I will be giving him away for anyone that wants to animate him.

You can find the download here.

If you animate him please message me or reply to this thread with any animations of him. I would love to see him come alive and see what you guys create. I included a README with the download with more information. 

If you're like me and don't really do animation but knows someone that does, share it with them. I know sometimes animator look for new characters to try something new.

I also want to practice more characters in this style and I think I want to make a champ from League of Legends. I want to rig him or her and give it away just like this one for any animators who want to practice and improve on their skills. Let me know if you guys are interested in that and if so let me know which champs you would like to see in what skin.

I will also post this on the animation area but i wanted to share the model here as well.

Now for some more technical stuff. I created a sculpt using dynamesh only a very rough sculpt. I was planning refining the sculpt and add some fine details, then creating normal maps and getting my information from there and continue texturing in Photoshop, but I wanted to paint from pretty much 0 to practice. 

So I then retopo and UVd the rough sculpts from zBrush. I took the low res UVd model to zBrush and started painting there. I still had my rough sculpt in the file so that I can have some form of guide by turning the subtool on and off. The new model, the low res version, I subdivided with smooth turned off. The reason for this was that If I had smooth on and then textured it two things would happen. 1 the model will get reduced, smoothed out and would've lost my silhouette, and second, once I get my textures out of zBrush it would cause some problems. The UVs  would shift ever so slightly and create seam problems, this way I can avoid problems down the road. 
I started painting with SkinShade4, but once I had enough color information on the model (enough anatomy in place to continue) I switched to FlatColor and rarely switched to SkinShade4 again.
Almost everything was painted in zBrush . Only the back piece, the cape looking thing was textured in Photoshop. The reason I decided to go with Photoshop instead of zBrush with that piece was that I needed an alpha map, so zBrush was pretty much out of the question. Once I finish the texturing in zBrush I created a gradient map in Maya to get a nice transition in his body.
The weapon was created using the same workflow. I created the staff in Maya, then I went into zBrush and created the top part using dynamesh, a quick retopo and UV and finally texturing in zBrush. 

I think that's pretty much it. Any C&C always welcomed.
Cheers!