Home General Discussion

Is it possible to rent an apartment without references/fast track the process?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I want to move to be able to get closer to the jobs I want to work. But one major headache right now is that I don't want to spend months going through the whole process of "looking up the history of the apartment, going through references bla bla bla". Especially in the 3D industry where mobility is everything, yet how do you secure an apartment in the same time you begin or want to start work?

When I say this, I don't mean trying anything shady. I actually have money right now and good credit history so I'm not just a random person looking for a free place to stay. But the thought of having to go on kijiji or other rent websites and just go through ad by ad and hope you get something (and not get rejected) depresses me.

Edit: Corrected title.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It's never taken me months to rent an apartment? I show up, fill out an application, and in a few days or hours they usually call me to let me know if I'm approved. If you have a job, a good credit history, and can afford the apartment, then there's no reason for them to reject you.

Usually if I'm moving to a new job I'll take a trip, a week before I have to move there, to go to the city and rent an apartment.

However buying an apartment is a whole different thing. That involves at least 15 days escrow and inspections etc.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    As long as you respect noise etc.  Too many tenants like to play there music for everyone with no respect people want quiet time or to sleep.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Bumping this thread because there's one more thing I need to know:

If I want internet in my apartment, is it possible to get it installed the same day I move in? Like say the moment I get approved, can I call the internet provider and have them set it up immediately before or around the time I move in?
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    That sounds like a question you should ask from the internet provider you are planning to use rather then random people on the internet ;) Because it will vary based on their availability, when you get the keys, etc. 
    They will not be able to set it up before. Before you get the keys, the place is not yours and you can not bring contractors in. (This may be different if you are renting a basement suit from an individual, then you may be able to negotiate) 
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Vancouver it takes at least ten days and you pretty much have to be at home for hours waiting for them on the day.