Home Technical Talk

How do you do it ? (3DS max)

Filip5
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
In addition to my last post, I have decided to make this more of a long post with questions, rather than a single problem thread.
When it comes to Max, I have no problem with modeling. The problem hovever comes in in terms of unwrapping, adding materials etc. Hopefully you will be abe to explain me these things I always wonder about.

Lets say you finished modeling your model. Well, part of it. For this example lets talk about a single box. 

1. If the model is getting tiny details, or is mented for game engine, it should be low-poly and high-poly. Both of them are modeled, not unwrapped, not even material applied ( I' ll get to it in a second).What now ?

2. I got my model, lower and upper part of box. Should I attach them before texturing ? What about exporting ? Should I export only one object or a group of objects when it comes to model consisting of more parts ?

3. Asked about multiple UVs in previous thread: http://polycount.com/discussion/179699/3ds-max-texture-resolution#latest

4.Lets say model is unwrapped, got coliders,smoothed, ready for exporting. Anything else I should take a look at before getting it to SP?

5. Some game engines, such as UDK used second UV channel for lightning. Does UE4 still need this ? 

Replies