Home Unreal Engine

Normal map problems in Unreal Engine

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
b0lly polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys!
For the past couple of months I've been working on and off with a wall kit. I've been trying out a new workflow, I'm using the ultimate trim-technique from sunset overdrive ( for more info on the subject, check out http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022324/The-Ultimate-Trim-Texturing-Techniques ) which is a way of avoiding baking high poly bevel edges to a low poly. 
Anyway, at first I was going to present the wall kit in unity, but due to my limitations with programming and a slow computer (takes forever to bake lights and get SSAO) etc I decided to try out Unreal. But for some reason my normal maps and trims doesnt look good at all in Unreal. I'll show you some examples.

This is what my normal map looks like, with edge trims where I put the edges on my shells that I want to have nice edges. 

and this is one of my meshes in Maya, with wireframe turned on.

This is what the trims look like in maya. Pretty good.

This is what the trims look like in marmoset. still pretty good.

.. and this is how they look in Unreal. Not so good.

I've tried different lightings, I've messed around in the different materials, textures, settings, etc. All the normal maps are set to behave as normal maps. Does anyone have any idea why my trims show up like this in Unreal? Any tips would help me. Im totally stuck and can't get this project done. 

Thanks in advance! <3 

Replies