Home Technical Talk

Weight Painting newbie question - Maya

martin242
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
martin242 polycounter lvl 5
I'm learning the weight painting tool in Maya and already been able to paint decent weights on simple meshes, but now I want to paint weights on some detailed military boots with a lot of different overlapping parts like metal eyelets, laces, zippers and I'm really having a hard time figuring the best way to do it. It's a pain trying to use the camera to paint on those overlapping stuff part by part. Is there a different way to do it? What would be the fastest approach to something like that? Thanks :)

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Get used to use copy skinweights, its extremely useful. In the case of overlapping stuff, do your weightpainting on a clean proxy mesh, and copy the weights to the complicated mesh. Do the refinement on the proxy and copy weights again.
  • martin242
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martin242 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks antweiler! I know how to copy skinweights. What is the best practice to create a good proxy mesh? Should it be like a single mesh with overall shape? Like putting the shoe in a tight bag? What about geometry? Does it need to match the geo of the complex item?