Home Technical Talk

Some workflow questions, exploding meshes, mat IDs, etc.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hi all, I've been trying to level up my baking workflow recently as its been lacking and I noticed the process takes me ages, so figured there's gotta be a way to speed things up. I've never really used the exploding method until recently and found it speeds things up a lot, but I still feel I could probably be more efficient. My question is, is there an efficient way to explode a sculpt in ZBrush and separate certain pieces into bake sets? A colleague of mine recommended importing the low poly meshes and for each using 'offset' in the deformation tab to explode the sculpt, but this can be quite a lengthy process if you have around 10-15 subtools, for example. Do you guys have a more efficient for exploding and exporting meshes out quickly?

Secondly, is there a way for me to bake Material IDs from subtools with Polygroups? I'm using TB3 beta right now for baking and its great, but when using the Material ID tab it only bakes one color. 

Lastly, can anyone recommend a method for baking Low poly mesh AO, as in the the areas occluded on a low poly mesh, rather than baking from a high poly? I usually use Turtle in Maya, but again any input from you guys would be great. Thanks!!