Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished Character] King of Thorn

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
samnwck polycounter lvl 9
Current Progress:

I'm working on a piece based on the concept art by TannekO (with permission): https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Y4NAY

I just finished up the basic blockout for the body, next I'll be going into more detail on the face. Let me know if you have any critiques on the anatomy.

Replies

• Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    The anatomy looks really close to the concept so far. Right now the collar bone in your sculpt is hidden by the upper pectorals. In the concept the collar bone sticks out a bit more.

• Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    You definitely got the overall shape language right. Two things that pop to my eyes are that the hunch seems higher and more towards the back and the fact that the horns seem a lot thicker on the concept.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Asura Thanks for the post. That was actually an area I had debated on for a while deciding what looked more normal, the reason I had deviated from the concept was I had looked at photos of individuals with larger than average muscles (like the concept) and found that usually the bone is usually hidden under the pectorals that attach to it. That being said I'll take another stab at it and post the results.

@Ouran My thinking with hunch was that his head position is a bit lower in the concept making it appear more hunched and since I wanted to sculpt in a somewhat neutral position I made it a bit higher up. Hopefully upon rigging him he'll be able to bend like that naturally enough to achieve the pose correctly. As far as the horns, they'll be getting their treatment when I get the face up to speed, stay tuned.

As far as something else I noticed upon posting and seeing the model next to the concept I can see the biceps and triceps are pretty far off from the concept so I'll be tackling those! 

Thanks guys!

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid the collar bone and the arm anatomy to better fit the concept:

Any crits are appreciated.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the head, Would love some crit

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was getting a bit side tracked with other side projects, finally got a low poly done and am starting to detail. Head detail:

Details deviate from the original concept but I liked the direction so I kept going with it. Jaw still very WIP
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Head is just about finished, C&C appreciated:

• Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice progress! This is a nice concept you picked, and it looks great so far. My crit would be about the body though. The anatomy looks good but I'm reading the concept in a slightly different way:
    - It seems to have only 3 fingers on the hands. Also it poses its hands in a different way. You way seems more realistic as it have to support a certain weight on them, but it looks less menacing, ready to jump.
    - For me the abdomen is shorter, as it's base on a bat for general proportions. For now in side view it looks more proportioned like a hyena.
    - The lower part of the back legs looks Really off at the moment. Try to copy a dog's leg for example. They tend to have thinner calves, and for the hind part there's mostly tendons.

Keep up!  =)

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abrvpt Wow some really good insights here! I changed up the leg a lot, made them a bit less muscular and a bit more natural pose. Wish I would've caught that earlier because I didn't see just how awkward the foreleg joint's proportions and positioning were.

As far as the hands, I envisioned it a bit differently, but I added the extra digit because when it actually gets posed I felt 3 fingers would look more sturdy than just the two (with the thumb supporting the back of hand so you'd only see 3 out of the 4 fingers... at least that's how I justified it in my head). Also keep in mind, the hands are being sculpted in a "neutral position" so certain things don't quite line up yet, same with his general stature and stance at the moment, when posed he should line up pretty close to the concept.

Progress (ignore most of the leg detail for now, just basic proportions):

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally UV'd and in-engine. Just did a preliminary bake (has tons of issues, needs a cage). But here's where this is at now! Skin material just for looks, not final coloring at all!

Wireframe:

Different View:

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally fixed all the baking issues, and now I'm getting this guy textured. Here's where I'm at:

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm getting closer to finalizing the textures, and this is the general pose I'm thinking of doing, perhaps with a small prey caught under it's hand that it's about to devour. The pose is just a simple rough out using Zbrush to move the verts around. I'd love to hear some feedback on the textures and the pose idea.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The final setpiece for this guy. Decided to have him eating a giant eel that are found in the many lakes of the cave where he resides:

I didn't make the environment pieces, all of those are megascans. Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3.