Home Technical Talk

How did he move this finger? O-O (Zbrush) (And a quick rigging question)

Travisty
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Travisty polycounter lvl 2
https://youtu.be/JL75R0K_j7g?t=631

Edit: In case it doesn't put in the time, it's at 10:30

I can't seem to figure out how to get this cube on my end to bend like that at all. It just pulls directly right or left with no bend at all. I've tried every brush without anything similar happening.

1. Append cube
2. Resize it as shown (rectangle)
3. Mask off where you want your finger joint to be ( 1 of 3; the tip)
4. Using wizardry, just bend it.
5. Mask off the second joint. 
6. Step 4.
7. You're done. You've just made a presentable hand in mere moments.

Question 2:

This is my first time through an entire pipeline.

[Skippable backstory]

I've been mostly using Modo to make a hard surface objects (like a simple container), creating the UVs in Modo, masking out where I want my different materials to be by selecting polygon faces and pressing M, and then importing it all into Unreal and creating the materials in there using the material IDs (effectively masks).

I stopped using Zbrush because I was awful. I just flat out didn't know what I was doing. 6 months later I hop back in and I don't know what happened but I can sculpt now. Just all of a sudden it clicks. It makes sense. Everything's easy as could be.

[end of skippable backstory]

So I'm trying to make an animation in UE4 now. Just to test the pipeline and get a feel for what's going to go wrong ect. ect.

My second question is:

How do I rig a character that I want to be able to "wear" different clothes? In fact, what's the accepted (in a gaming pipeline) method? I've been without internet for a week so I apologize if this is obvious. Do I need multiple rigs? Can I just reuse the same rig and re-weight it? Just trying not to make a fundamental mistake. The little stuff I'll figure out over time.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/365909/how-to-add-different-clothes-to-rigged-character.html

I simply can't find an answer that I can understand. It just doesn't translate to modo / ue4 D:

Replies

• Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    Use the Rotate Transpose Line. Place the base at the inside of the joint and rotate.
  • Travisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Travisty polycounter lvl 2
    Use the Rotate Transpose Line. Place the base at the inside of the joint and rotate.
    I am.. so tired right now. Was out of town pretty much from the moment I posted this until now. Humorously I'd realized that this was the answer mere hours afterward but couldn't remember the name of the site so I wasn't able to mention it.

I very much appreciate the confirmation that my hunch was correct and the additional instruction (: