Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyber Exo Suit Warrior Girl

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
Hey all, making a thread to try force myself to finish this, since I've had this project in the works for far too long.

Based on Alexandre Chaudret's concept. Honestly I'm not going for a 1:1 similar result, just trying to make this look good and the more realistic, the better.

I think I'll be redoing her face and hair which I'm not happy with. Those belt textures on her legs are awful too ha. Weapons are already done thankfully. Any critique and tips is welcome. 

Replies

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hi!
    I'm guessing you might be actually done with this character and so probably not too interested in doing changes at this point.
    However its still nice to hear some comments sometimes as you might apply those to your next work etc.
    What caugh my eyes the most is the proportions,
    She is currently very very tall with a good 9 head tall.
    Usually a ''realistic'' woman would be a bit more around 7 1/2 head and a more idealized one around 8 head.
    This makes it so that the head look extremely small compared to the rest of the body

I'm really not great at paintover but there is stuff that could be improved about the face.
    Overall proportions and a bit more work on the planes of the face.
    Her eyes currently look (i think) a bit far apart and her ear-jaw, a bit too far back, making her face a bit too ''stretched'' back on the closer shot.
    Its good that you tried to make some area of the first a bit more red and saturated (like the nose and cheeks for exemple) but you might have gone a bit too far when it come to intensity.
    She looks like she might have had a drink too many and applied her blush with a very heavy hand.

Otherwise its a pretty cool character and you did a great job overall :) keep going

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I would also work on ur materials a bit more.  The leather jacket is almost as specular as the chest armor.  Also, while the metal is very similar in value and color in the concept, I would break it up more on ur model for interest.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks for the comments guys, specially those images Tits. I agree with everything you said, I'll be reworking everything and come back with (hopefully) something better. Slosh, yeah, lots of textures need a tweak, the chest armor specially which (to me) seems so flat-looking. 
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Update time; been reworking the head (and size). Currently struggling with building hair volume without adding too many cards, I mean whoa, tricount can shoot up fast when doing this. I'll post some full body pics so that the head can be measured with the rest. 

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Been putting more hours into this, I'm starting to like the results. Still need to polish my head sculpt and work some details into lips and other areas. 

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Trying to give the body one final texture pass.

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @Justo; I just saw the most recent update and wanted to say that your head sculpt and detailing has come a long way! Looks like you're nearing the finish line, so it'll be awesome to see the final textures and the posed character. Awesome work!
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    You've really improved her face and hair so far, keep doing what you're doing; it's working. Great job so far!
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks guys!! Really appreciate it :) 
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I think this would be somewhat the final look. Goggles need work, some geo isn't final, I'll work more on the hair and weapons need some texture tweaking, but everything else is kinda done. I'll work on this a bit more during the weekend before starting posing; feel free to drop some feedback on anything you see that rubs you wrong. 

Edit: Oh! Red fingers will be gone by next time too haha.

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Goggles and fingers done. Also making a keychain that'll have some emissive on it. 

• JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    The work you've done is definitely paying off, the improvement compared to the first one is noticeably better, like a lot. Congrats.

And just a personal note, in my opinion, the leather jacket feels a bit smooth and shiny, or maybe its just the lighting setup because the previous one is a bit better imo. It already looks good, but maybe playing and adding a little bit more variation on the roughness map will help. Maybe add some wear and tear if possible.

I liked the previous hair render. The dither on the latest one looks kinda weird.

Overall its a solid piece. Cant wait to see how you pose this one later.
  • kreativbloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
    So. The improvements from the first image to the last are pretty stark, so that's great. My two cents: the lower eye lid looks a little wonky. Also, does she have a mouth cavity? I can kinda see geo connecting the lips. I may be crazy. Also the skin needs a bit of work. On this piece alone you improved a lot. You mentioned you had worked on this for a bit. How long did it take you to get to the first image you posted?

Looking forward to that pose.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @JimmyRustler Thanks man. I've heard lots of different opinionson the jacket; I like it a bit rougher, though I agree it could use some variation perhaps. For the hair, don't worry, that's because I just screencapped from Toolbag's viewport instead of rendering like I should have.

@kreativbloc Thanks, I'll have a look at the eye lid. I agree the skin could use some variation, though I'm currently struggling what to do without having the changes be too strong. As for the How Long question, this was among the first attempts at making character art back then (topology-wise there's a lot of stuff that could be fixed), the best answer I could give would be "Too Long!" :) And no, it does not have a mouth cavity, you are correct! I slacked off there. 

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Uploading this before making some poses. Found a rigger who offered some of his wise help! Hopefully he'll give me a hand with it. 

Bigger and more images here.